GRN site faults

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

GRN site faults

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:10 pm

Now that the push to remove the old analog channels is all but over, can somebody please, please, pretty please have a look at the Mt Budawang end of the HH site 314?

I've posted a one minute long screen capture from ProScan of the control channel dropping out, as you will see it's gone more of the time than it's there! It is one of the closest sites to me and you will see I'm maxing out the RSSI when there's actually something to receive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nybMCbqco0

It has been like this since the day it was upgraded to P25, I'm guessing there must still be enough info being passed for a Moto radio to remain affiliated because there is still traffic on the site, although I can't say if the problem exists on the Mt Clear (Southern ACT) end of the site or not, the traffic may well be associated with that end?

Please please please please please and thank you!

Andrew

Longreach

Re: GRN site faults

Post by Longreach » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi all, agreed whole heartily with Bigfella. there is definately a problem with the site and as suggested in the past the carrier from both sites are strong however the data has and is still 'up the shit'. the data is so weak you only seem to get any sort of decode within a few km's from each site usually none from the Mt Clear site at all.
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:46 pm

The same thing seems to be happening with the Harbour Tunnel site. The data is there, but the 996 can't decode it. "DAT" flashes only occasionally and no site information is displayed.

Mike

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:59 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:I've posted a one minute long screen capture from ProScan of the control channel dropping out, as you will see it's gone more of the time than it's there! It is one of the closest sites to me and you will see I'm maxing out the RSSI when there's actually something to receive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nybMCbqco0
As Matt mentioned, there is actually a carrier being broadcast from Mt Budawang all the time, I programmed the scanner in the screen capture to receive only P25 to illustrate how often the control channel data is missing from that carrier, the problem appears to be in the feed from Mt Cowangerong?

I also meant to add that the dropout seems to occur at a regular interval, roughly five seconds on/twenty seconds off... I'm not sure if it might have something to do with the weather radar at the Mt Cowangerong site or not?

Andrew

Brian

Post by Brian » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:26 am

If this is still happening guys give the GRN a ring (1800 NSW GRN) and tell them. Granted once upon a time they used to be really good and interested guys there, I'm not sure if this is still the case with the new management, but you might cop someone on the other end of the phone willing to listen. If you are also a legit user of the GRN it always helps as well.

I had a similar problem about 5 years ago with a site and rang them up. Of course there were the initial questions of "How did you manage to get that sort of information?" when I was refering to data I had from trunker and they were thinking I had myself a copy of site monitor, but in the end after a bit of explaining that was all put aside as they could see I had valid data on a real problem and they got to work fixing it and were grateful for the call.

It never hurts to try and give someone else a helping hand if they might have an ongoing problem. Even to the fat you could email the audio to them.

Over the past couple of years I've had people play me live stuff over a phone from the other end of the Country from a repeater that is a good 100+ KM's away from them and only accessible by chopper to see if it is worthwhile us getting on a plane and a hopper to go and investigate the problem further.

Regards,

Brian.

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:08 am

I reported this a very long time ago. I've personally tested radios in this area & never had a problem, never had a complaint from anyone in that area, and the investigation came back no fault found. I'm not going to pursue the matter further until someone demonstrates an impact on RADIO communications, not just on scanners. Get a grip guys, the GRN isn't there for your benefit- if the radios still work & no network user complains then it is not an issue worth spending money on. I'd prefer them to be dealing with real problems, not rubbish like this.

Cheers,

Richard