P25 Talk Groups part 2

Mike Alpha

Re: P25 Talk Groups part 2

Post by Mike Alpha » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:58 am

ivahri wrote:Mike,

Which areas? I would have thought Miranda & Heathcote would cover them fairly well even without Cronulla.

Cheers,

Richard
Hi Richard, I think one of the garbos on TG 11078 was in Gymea Bay and his audio was all broken and not legible. The operator told him to repeat what he said and the second time round it was OK. But I have heard them having radio probs before always in those low areas near Port Hacking. They also talk about radio problems around Illawong down Old Ferry road.

Mike

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:39 am

From experience, doing testing that lead to the establishment of the Miranda Site, and later testing of Cronulla (back in analogue days), when you get down in those dead end streets right down on the river (ie north side of river), none of the existing sites will be helpful. The best RF solutions would involve a site of the south side of the river in the heights above Maianbar (there is a water tank of there in a good position) firing arcross the river to the north. I and my compatriots tested on simplex from the low points back to the water tank with near perfect copy in most places.

Maianbar was my recommendation back then and it would have mostly done the job of Miranda and Cronulla. (Cronulla was mainly established to fix Miranda problems down around Cronulla Beach).

Therer are too many interfering high points between the low areas and the existing sites.

I don't think that the existing coverage from existing Sites would be acceptable for the portable coverage needs of Police in the low areas.

Anway, here's hoping that the p25 Cronulla coverage will be of some help.

S_T

My opnion anyway.

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:41 pm

system_tech wrote:From experience, doing testing that lead to the establishment of the Miranda Site, and later testing of Cronulla (back in analogue days), when you get down in those dead end streets right down on the river (ie north side of river), none of the existing sites will be helpful. The best RF solutions would involve a site of the south side of the river in the heights above Maianbar (there is a water tank of there in a good position) firing arcross the river to the north. I and my compatriots tested on simplex from the low points back to the water tank with near perfect copy in most places.

Maianbar was my recommendation back then and it would have mostly done the job of Miranda and Cronulla. (Cronulla was mainly established to fix Miranda problems down around Cronulla Beach).

Therer are too many interfering high points between the low areas and the existing sites.

I don't think that the existing coverage from existing Sites would be acceptable for the portable coverage needs of Police in the low areas.

Anway, here's hoping that the p25 Cronulla coverage will be of some help.

S_T

My opnion anyway.
The police have a site on the water tower at Lilli Pilli which would fill those low-lying areas and shaded areas along Port Hacking quite well. But looking at Google Maps, I'm not sure how much reach it has to the Cronulla beaches though.

Could the problems also be related to the fact there are only a small number of active P25 voice channels on the new P25 sites and when all those channels are occupied the radio is forced on to a more distant site?

Mike

Garry

Post by Garry » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:35 pm

looks like some one went around the dial on a FRNSW radio off Lambton today,, updating list now
Happily Scanning Since 1983

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:51 pm

Man, some people need to find a life... :) I've already seen a list done this way- the give away is when the talkgroup IDs are not listed in hex. If an ID isn't in hex it is of no interest or value to someone who programs real radios...

Cheers,

Richard

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:56 pm

Mike & Mal,

I guess until more spectrum becomes available along with the funding they will have to put up with this. New sites around there need new spectrum & there isn't any- yet.

I can't remember what the coverage guarantee is, either 95 or 99%, but I'm pretty sure that the networks meets that in this area. The problem in this case is that the 1% falls in areas that need coverage so clearly something needs to be done. Maianbar sounds like a good suggestion Mal.

Cheers,

Richard

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:04 am

ivahri wrote:Man, some people need to find a life... :) I've already seen a list done this way- the give away is when the talkgroup IDs are not listed in hex. If an ID isn't in hex it is of no interest or value to someone who programs real radios...
Cheers,

Richard
Might be the way in Motorola world, but in scanner world (of which this forum is part of) the talkgroup ID is normally of far more importance and significance when it is not written in hex! :)

Garry

Post by Garry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:13 am

10953 - NSW Maritime is being used on Newcastle Harbour today for the large Maritime Festival, being used by Maritime and Police launches
Happily Scanning Since 1983

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:16 am

Scotty wrote:
ivahri wrote:Man, some people need to find a life... :) I've already seen a list done this way- the give away is when the talkgroup IDs are not listed in hex. If an ID isn't in hex it is of no interest or value to someone who programs real radios...
Cheers,

Richard
Might be the way in Motorola world, but in scanner world (of which this forum is part of) the talkgroup ID is normally of far more importance and significance when it is not written in hex! :)
Scotty,

Agreed. And in the real world anyone with half an ounce of brain can work out how to convert decimal to hex. Windows calculator does a nice job of it.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:41 pm

At the end of the day it's the same number.. convert it to whatever units float your boat and use as you see fit :)