NSW P25 GRN - Radio IDs

soupbones

Re: NSW P25 GRN - Radio IDs

Post by soupbones » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:02 pm

You would think that the government was smart enough to learn from history, that history being cyclone Tracey where police and other EMS services were all called to go to Darwin. Communications then became a shambles. Mind you, this was 1972, so you would think that in the 21st century that this would be standard setup. What happened to the clever country?

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:49 pm

It's only been 38 years... give it time! :lol:

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:55 pm

soupbones wrote:You would think that the government was smart enough to learn from history, that history being cyclone Tracey where police and other EMS services were all called to go to Darwin. Communications then became a shambles. Mind you, this was 1972, so you would think that in the 21st century that this would be standard setup. What happened to the clever country?
Well that was the whole idea behind the consolidated 468MHz police band.

Of course, new people took over and old lessons were forgotten and then relearned the hard way....

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Hang on, let's not hold the 468MHz band as a great example, unless you believe like some plods do that they are the only emergency service. So great they have compatibility among themselves but obviously didn't give a stuff about Ambos or Fire. That is a fight being fought today- to make sure that common frequencies are available to each of the services & not just to the one that thinks they are more important than the rest. Having seen what goes on "from the inside" for some years now I get really ticked off with how one service has received a disproportionate amount of funds to the others yet still scream poor (mainly because they waste so much money)... the things that could have been done by other agencies if only they received their fair share- it staggers me.

Cheers,

Richard

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:31 pm

ivahri wrote:Hang on, let's not hold the 468MHz band as a great example, unless you believe like some plods do that they are the only emergency service. So great they have compatibility among themselves but obviously didn't give a stuff about Ambos or Fire. That is a fight being fought today- to make sure that common frequencies are available to each of the services & not just to the one that thinks they are more important than the rest. Having seen what goes on "from the inside" for some years now I get really ticked off with how one service has received a disproportionate amount of funds to the others yet still scream poor (mainly because they waste so much money)... the things that could have been done by other agencies if only they received their fair share- it staggers me.

Cheers,

Richard
simple answer, walk into dick smith electronics. buy all their .5w UHF CB radios. no need to waste on all these p25 radios and networks. if you need to, I can call a mate with a staff discount to get it cheaper for you

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:15 am

ivahri wrote:Hang on, let's not hold the 468MHz band as a great example, unless you believe like some plods do that they are the only emergency service. So great they have compatibility among themselves but obviously didn't give a stuff about Ambos or Fire. That is a fight being fought today- to make sure that common frequencies are available to each of the services & not just to the one that thinks they are more important than the rest. Having seen what goes on "from the inside" for some years now I get really ticked off with how one service has received a disproportionate amount of funds to the others yet still scream poor (mainly because they waste so much money)... the things that could have been done by other agencies if only they received their fair share- it staggers me. Cheers, Richard
You make a good point there Richard, it's interesting to note that the emergency service currently with the LEAST agency interoperability is the NSWPF, at least the ASNSW, NSWFB & NSWRFS have made an effort to be able to liaise with the police but the best they will allow is access to an analogue simplex back channel (Z1 CH A065), it's positively arrogant!

The same was said many years ago that one of the reasons the NSWPF would not move to the GRN is that the GCIO would not guarantee their radio traffic priority over EVERYONE else on the network; tell me how doing checks on car regos should have priority over a 4 alarm fire or an ambo passing a code 3 on a critical patient?

If there was (God forbid) ever a major multi-agency incident I would like to see the Coroner's findings on why every agency was able to communicate EXCEPT the police?

Andrew

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:06 am

hi all, dont forget about the liason scannels in sydney Zone 1 Ch 04 and 41 and ESO 10 analogue and now digital?
i know there is others outside sydney like 47 and 48 in the gong and 9 at the gib but im just talking sydney alone.
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:54 am

BerryV wrote:
ivahri wrote:Hang on, let's not hold the 468MHz band as a great example, unless you believe like some plods do that they are the only emergency service. So great they have compatibility among themselves but obviously didn't give a stuff about Ambos or Fire. That is a fight being fought today- to make sure that common frequencies are available to each of the services & not just to the one that thinks they are more important than the rest. Having seen what goes on "from the inside" for some years now I get really ticked off with how one service has received a disproportionate amount of funds to the others yet still scream poor (mainly because they waste so much money)... the things that could have been done by other agencies if only they received their fair share- it staggers me.

Cheers,

Richard
simple answer, walk into dick smith electronics. buy all their .5w UHF CB radios. no need to waste on all these p25 radios and networks. if you need to, I can call a mate with a staff discount to get it cheaper for you
Are they intrinsically safe? Ummm, no.

So other emergency services deserve .5W UHF CBs while Police get the "Rolls Royce" options? I know this is a wind up... but I hope you realise how offensive that sounds? The Police response most often is "tell someone who cares" so I guess that sums up your comment. Fine, but they are now reaping the reward of being so selfish because starting with the Far North Coast they are being brought back to the same level as the rest of us. And aren't I enjoying hearing them squeal! Listen to the pathetic quality of police comms, particularly in country areas, and you can hear how oodles of money has been wasted using uniformed radio techs who wouldn't get a job outside.

Now that I've had my rant (and feel a lot better for it!), to get back on topic... moving all services to between 400-430MHz is a very good start. We aren't that far away from having national interop channels- without having to revert to Woolworths radios.

Cheers,

Richard

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:11 am

ivahri wrote:Are they intrinsically safe? Ummm, no.

So other emergency services deserve .5W UHF CBs while Police get the "Rolls Royce" options? I know this is a wind up... but I hope you realise how offensive that sounds? The Police response most often is "tell someone who cares" so I guess that sums up your comment. Fine, but they are now reaping the reward of being so selfish because starting with the Far North Coast they are being brought back to the same level as the rest of us. And aren't I enjoying hearing them squeal! Listen to the pathetic quality of police comms, particularly in country areas, and you can hear how oodles of money has been wasted using uniformed radio techs who wouldn't get a job outside.

Now that I've had my rant (and feel a lot better for it!), to get back on topic... moving all services to between 400-430MHz is a very good start. We aren't that far away from having national interop channels- without having to revert to Woolworths radios.

Cheers,

Richard
Of course it is a wind-up. nothing wrong with how police comms sound. you think my comments are Offensive. Just look at your post about "watching them squeal" ? or that the radio guys could not get a job outside ?

My comments might be a wond-up but comments like that are just silly. i've said it all before, they should be all on the GRN.

P.S Is the mobile phone that everyone carry's in their pocket intrinsic safe ? :)

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:24 am

BerryV wrote:
ivahri wrote:Are they intrinsically safe? Ummm, no.

Cheers,

Richard
Of course it is a wind-up. nothing wrong with how police comms sound. you think my comments are Offensive. Just look at your post about "watching them squeal" ? or that the radio guys could not get a job outside ?

My comments might be a wond-up but comments like that are just silly. i've said it all before, they should be all on the GRN.

P.S Is the mobile phone that everyone carry's in their pocket intrinsic safe ? :)
You can quote me... they have been a protected species for far too long.

And ps... if they carry it in their tunic they need a kick up the butt. I think our Hazmat guys in particular are smarter than that.

Cheers,

Richard