Mobile Speed Cameras

JAFO

Re: Mobile Speed Cameras

Post by JAFO » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:
Garry wrote:the company has been advertising for staff in the local Newy paper
I wonder how much it pays to sit on your ass all day and cop abuse from passing motorists?
If there any thing like the Vic Mobile Camera Units, the untrained eye will not even notice them, just look like a everyday van sitting on the side of the road.

And as their private providers too, can’t really see any reason why they would need to be on the Police or RTA Networks either, if it was for security reasons, given the risks with money transporting of late, I think Armour Guard and the like would have greater priority in having direct access to Police via a radio network long before these guys.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:19 pm

JAFO wrote:
Bigfella237 wrote:
Garry wrote:the company has been advertising for staff in the local Newy paper
I wonder how much it pays to sit on your ass all day and cop abuse from passing motorists?
If there any thing like the Vic Mobile Camera Units, the untrained eye will not even notice them, just look like a everyday van sitting on the side of the road. And as their private providers too, can’t really see any reason why they would need to be on the Police or RTA Networks either, if it was for security reasons, given the risks with money transporting of late, I think Armour Guard and the like would have greater priority in having direct access to Police via a radio network long before these guys.
Grant,

The cameras they are using employ infrared flash technology so as you said most people will have no idea they have been caught.

As to the contractor having access to the RTA network, it is the current policy of the RTA that any contractor have access, take the clearway tow trucks for example. There is no way they would have access to the police network, because 1. the police are very reluctant to give any external agency access to their network these days. And 2. they have nothing whatsoever to do with the police, so agreed their chances of police radio access is naught.

Russell
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:24 am

"Do you see what I see?"

Yeah okay so I don't watch that much tv but I saw the ads for these new mobile speed cameras last night, I can just see kids now making the camera finger box as we drive past them...

Andrew

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:"Do you see what I see?" Yeah okay so I don't watch that much tv but I saw the ads for these new mobile speed cameras last night, I can just see kids now making the camera finger box as we drive past them...Andrew
Andrew,

I suppose the finger box is better than the vertical finger thrusted upward!

Russell
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:02 pm

Didn't read anywhere about bullet proof windows and armoured plating. I read they will just be plain old white Ford Territories. Even so, the infa red video camera mounted on the top looks like they got it from Jaycar, and I can see why some inclined idiot hooligan and his mates would not be able to walk up and smash it. Specially when it will have no police protection. And to make it worse, the RA are going to publish a list of black spots where they will be used. If what happened in the UK is anything to go by it will happen. Those people who are inclined to do these things have no respect for the police or the law, so I can't see them any more worried about a mobile speed camera owned by a private company. :|

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:10 pm

Thats it, im going out to buy 1,000 high intensity IR LEDs to put around my numberplate :)

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:57 pm

Would like to know who gave permission for private companies to be able to issue fines through the state? One would of thought only Government Law Enforcement should be able to issue such penalties. Or should i invest in one of these vans and park it in a certain CBD street and record busses and taxis' parking illegally all day and I can cash in on it?

criten

Post by criten » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:33 pm

matthewn1983 wrote:Would like to know who gave permission for private companies to be able to issue fines through the state? One would of thought only Government Law Enforcement should be able to issue such penalties. Or should i invest in one of these vans and park it in a certain CBD street and record busses and taxis' parking illegally all day and I can cash in on it?
Yeah. Used to be that only a Police officer could issue fines on the cityrail network and now its the jobs of whats qualified as a security guard. Although apparently they're moving back to Police.

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:44 pm

I see in certain carparks owned by Woolworths and McDonalds (probably many others) company called Australian National Carparks or similar can issue fines on the windscreen for not abiding by the terms and conditions of entering that particular car park, and can gather information from the RTA and/or SDRO to track your number plate down and issue you with an infringement notice.

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:56 pm

You don't have to be employed by the government agency to issue infringements, I know at Macquarie uni a few years ago they were using SNP security guards to patrol certain areas and they were able to issue infringement notices enforcable by the SDRO/RTA..

Not sure under what legislative authority this contractor will be operating under as i thought the road legislation was clear that police were the only ones that could use speed cameras to check drivers speed...