Mobile Speed Cameras

rustynswrail

Mobile Speed Cameras

Post by rustynswrail » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:24 pm

All,

Given that NSW drivers will soon once again be keeping an eye for the dreaded mobile speed camera, that it is reasonable to expect that the vehicles maybe be assigned an RTA talkgroup. The company supplying the equipment etc does not have an assignment it is possible that the RTA will pick up the slack.

Russell
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: Mobile Speed Cameras

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:34 pm

rustynswrail wrote: ~ Given that NSW drivers will soon once again be keeping an eye for the dreaded mobile speed camera ~
Did I miss something? When did we stop keeping an eye out for 'em?

Andrew

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:54 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:
rustynswrail wrote: ~ Given that NSW drivers will soon once again be keeping an eye for the dreaded mobile speed camera ~
Did I miss something? When did we stop keeping an eye out for 'em?
Andrew
Andrew,

We have not had mobile speed cameras in NSW for over four years now. They are being re-introduced on thr 19th July. Last time they were operated by the police, the new ones will be operated by a private company on behalf of the RTA. The police will have nothing to do with mobile speed camera enforcement.

Russell
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:38 am

Geez... I need to start watching the news more often! :D

Thanks Rusty!

Andrew

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:51 am

there saying too one per region too, given i live in whats known as southern region, do you think that one car will cover an area covered by police radio channels Romeo, Sierra, Whiskey and Uniform?
you used to hear to old ones i think the old one round here (an AU wagon) was knows as Traffic or Goulburn 289)
They may well get access via the RTA TG's to the GRN. im wondering too if they get access to the Police network( CH W, X dont exist now, in city areas) in case someone starts bashing crap out of the cars when there been fined?
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:49 am

I wonder how long these mobile speed cameras will last in some areas. After all, they will be privately owned and run, with no police to keep an eye on them. I can see hoards of hooligans trashing one soon enough. Leaving the poor bugger who's job it was to mind it probably in hospital. I think the government are silly letting private enterprise run things like this myself. even the police are not happy about these new mobile speed cameras...

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:31 pm

my partner at work read in a newspaper article that those cars will be bullet resistant windows and be re-inforced structures as well as uploading images of offending vehicles to the RTA in real time...

dunno how the real time is going to work, unless its going to be done on the nsw government MDRS ??

criten

Post by criten » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:36 pm

centralcoastscanman wrote:dunno how the real time is going to work, unless its going to be done on the nsw government MDRS ??
Speed infringements are not "mission critical" and infact fixed speed cameras break down all the time. I don't see why they wouldn't use the cheap as chips mobile phone network for this function. Even if nuclear war does break out and the network goes down, photos can be physically taken to the RTA HQ in the city if it still remains.

*shrug*

More reason to use trapster.

Article is here: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/s ... 5890226220

Garry

Post by Garry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:54 pm

the company has been advertising for staff in the local Newy paper
Happily Scanning Since 1983

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:08 pm

Garry wrote:the company has been advertising for staff in the local Newy paper
I wonder how much it pays to sit on your ass all day and cop abuse from passing motorists?