P25 talk groups

system_tech

Re: P25 talk groups

Post by system_tech » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:59 pm

Having been there and done that for 15 years, I challenge anyone running a "system" with a rather large inventory to have every i dotted and every t crossed. RFS are not the only agency to not know where a particular radio is / was or it's status.

For example, a friend of mine in the industry bought a radio (of a particular trunking variety) off ebay and out of interest did I a cross check on the ID / Serial Number to find a govt agency (non emergency) was still paying the monthly bill for it and whats more when contacted had no idea when it was last used / who by / what area etc and it had never been reported stolen either internally or externally to the agency.

I'm not getting into the Richard Vs BerryV area, I'm just pointing out, as said colloquially, "crap happens on big jobs".

Not that I will expect any further comments, but really, how about firearms missing from Police Armouries, drugs missing from hospitals & ambulances, corrupt storemen stealing /selling brand new never issued XTL-5000s out of the SES radio store etc .. etc .. crap really does happen on big jobs ....

Oh by the way, re the SES radio .. advertised on ebay .. member of a scan forum twigged and realised such a radio would not be a disposal, talked seller into revealing Serial Number, forum member contacted appropriate radio network manager, database checked and found to be a recently registered / allocated radio still meant to be in storage. A bit later .. exit one corrupt store person (a full time employee not a volunteer).

If the radio had not been discovered as it was, how would anyone know at a later stage what happened / where it was / etc ... and so crap would have happened on a big job.

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:45 pm

Just thinking about it, this a bit of a hypothetical, certainly way off topic ! but easily could explain why the analogue radio slipped through the cracks .. indeed though it could be one of a zillion reasons ..

"what if" the aircraft operator (say the receptionist or clerical person) had been asked .. oh, do you have a new radio in the acft XYZ, and having no idea what a "new radio" was, just said yes.

Think about in your personal or work life when you have asked a question of someone, or explained something to someone .. yeh mate, you know I mean .. its back with silver dials blah blah .. and the person makes out that have totally understood what you have said, and then you later find out they really had no idea, or that they misunderstood and thought you mant something esle? ha .. try giving out driving directions :-) you know mate .. turn right, go a bit up the hill, turn left the park where you see the really big tree yada yada ..

Not everyone is on the same wavelength (sorry couldn't help that one), or as particulary techinical as you expect, or even use the same "language" (try this one as an example, there is alot or terminology talked about on here about say GRN .. you folks all use it and understand it but say it to a GRN tech and they wouldný understand directly as they use different jargon. The some of the jargon used on this site has developed in isolatation in the scanner fraternity and isn't widely used elsewhere. A straight forward example is Talkgoup IDs and Radio IDs. Back in analogue GRN you all discussed IDs in the numbering presented by the Uniden scanners. GRN people would never ever use that number, as in the radio software its written differently .. on the system database etc .... the Uniden style numbering was not used ever, at all, in the radio and system. Nothing terrible .. but if you walked up to a Motorola radio programmer and quoted the Uniden number you would get a vacant look.

So what if the radio people and aircraft people operated in different jargon worlds ... easy for something to be misunderstood.

I see this sort of thing daily in the radio tech Vs customer / radio user world.

The way things are explained may well rely on "culture" for accurate translation .. food for thought anyway.

So ,, hey .. a mstake was made .. by someone .. may not even be RFS .. and in the scheme of things no biggie ... no need to turn into a session baiting other forum members .. alluding that they are talking "crap" .... and unless you were directly involved .. you will never quite know the reason for the mistake .. we can postulate and take educated guesses ... and that all they are .. guesses (yes just like mine).

take care .. and have a good one ...

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:12 am

Berry,

The problem with you is that you think you know it all so it is pointless anyone trying to explain to you anything... without desiring to get in to a p*ssing duel some of us are actually heavily involved in this process and, in my case, if I had no idea what I was doing then I think it would have become obvious to both contractors & my agency by now. I've never claimed to be perfect Berry but it is funny how so many people come running to me when things go wrong... if I talk cr*p then there are a lot of people literally in the poo- and yet our project keeps rolling on. Maybe that is because most people involved work together, none of us know everything, but we work together. There is little point dwelling on one mistake- you fix it- without scoring stupid, petty little points to make a hero of oneself. The project is more important than one person's ego. On the other hand you have a big mouth Berry and I seriously doubt that your abilities come even close to the loudness of your talk. I'm glad you haven't been involved in the project & I hope to never have the misery of ever working with someone like you.

Cheers,

Richard

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:29 am

Hi Mal,

I couldn't agree more...

As I said to Grant many of us will be very happy when this project is over. I hopefully only have another 7-8 weeks and I'll be well in to the mopping up phase.

The problem with forums like this is that people focus only on the technical challenges, the stuff ups, and what is new. Some of us live in the mundane world... like trying to locate a few thousand radios & to account for every single one. One of my best mates has spent months just doing this for the ACT. My agency (and the RFS & Ambos have the same challenge) has radios all over NSW. I've had techs running around the state for a few months trying to locate every radio, I've personally done thousands of kms catching the stragglers, and we are down to less than 30 out of a few thousand. Some are bound to have been lost or stolen so they get deregistered, others are interstate with vehicle builders or hidden in senior officers cupboards (think we've nagged these to death). All the while we have upgrading of Comcen Centracom links to be done... and someone (oh, that is me!) still needs to write the final digital only profiles! We aren't perfect, but I know that most people involved in this project are busting their guts to not stuff up... and while we need people to tell us when we get things wrong, we don't need pratts like Berry to portray every last problem like it is the end of the earth.

Cheers,

Richard

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:23 pm

ivahri wrote: I'm glad you haven't been involved in the project & I hope to never have the misery of ever working with someone like you.
you would love working with me Richard, we could hang out together, drink wine and talk radios. sound good ?

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:44 pm

Yer you need to both kiss and make up. Have a man hug even. LOL

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:37 pm

whoa its getting too much like man love here :)
VK2MRC