Longreach

Re: NPWS TG's ?

Post by Longreach » Tue May 18, 2010 9:00 pm

digital
VK2MRC

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Tue May 18, 2010 11:13 pm

npws will go over to grn, only a matter of time when the reception is upto an acceptable level

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Wed May 19, 2010 9:42 am

centralcoastscanman wrote:npws will go over to grn, only a matter of time when the reception is upto an acceptable level
I am told NPWS have GRN for liasion purposes only (RFS etc). That they want a single system across the state. They have slowly replaced their VHF mid with VHF highband. It is anticipated that the VHF hi will survive for at least 15 years.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Wed May 19, 2010 4:13 pm

ah ok thats interesting to know, i guess if they can prove they have an operational need for their own system and that the grn won't be suitable aok...

Chrisco

Post by Chrisco » Wed May 19, 2010 11:19 pm

NPWS doesn't sound exciting prob hear skippy calling for a chopper for a lost boy :P
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Wed May 19, 2010 11:31 pm

never know, i thought hospital security channels would be boring until I worked in that field... its an untapped resource that can be quite hilarious sometimes but also gives the general public a view of how screwed up our society really is

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:23 am

Chrisco wrote:NPWS doesn't sound exciting prob hear skippy calling for a chopper for a lost boy :P
Actually, I find when there's big fires on that you get more useful info from National sParks and WildfireS than what you do from RFS PMR (unless of course you're close enough to pick up fireground channels)?

Most of the time the RFS FCOs don't seem to think the firefighter on the ground 'needs to know' what's going on around them!

Andrew

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Thu May 20, 2010 8:53 am

centralcoastscanman wrote:npws will go over to grn, only a matter of time when the reception is upto an acceptable level
Not happening... haven't you noticed that they are replacing their Midband PMR with Highband? They are very anti-GRN so I don't see your prediction coming true for many years. I'm happy to be quoted as believing this was one of the daftest decisions by government in Eons but Sparks & Wildfires continue to be allowed to live in their own little world.

Cheers,

Richard

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Thu May 20, 2010 9:00 am

rustynswrail wrote:
I am told NPWS have GRN for liasion purposes only (RFS etc). That they want a single system across the state. They have slowly replaced their VHF mid with VHF highband. It is anticipated that the VHF hi will survive for at least 15 years.

R
Hi Rusty,

This agency decided that they wanted to be the odd ones out by staying at VHF. They swallowed the nonsense that UHF can't cover their areas of interest (as if Highband will be that much better!) so I guess they will have to make do with this network for its economic life (or until someone comes along with a bucket of money to bail them out).

Cheers,

Richard

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Thu May 20, 2010 9:24 am

Hi all, alright then why did they bother moving from Low Band at all?
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC