GRN P25 testing has started.

citabria
Site Admin

Re: GRN P25 testing has started.

Post by citabria » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Just got 19901 on Horsely Park then. Very broken reception though..

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:46 pm

The 19900's talk groups seem to be the most regular ones the techs are using at the moment..

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:18 am

Did the trip down to Albury the past week and P25 Sites are active all the way down pass Yass. Was still picking up the Yass P25 Site as far south as the Jugiong Township.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:04 am

Wow, they are rolling ahead real fast it seems. Unusual. Usually the GRN guys dawdle along for ages before things happen. Going to be an interesting system to nut out when it becomes more active. Looking forward to it, as it may spark more interest in scanning again.

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:42 am

It is now moving very quickly- the first agencies are not far away from migrating. Phase 2 agencies are supposed to happen before the end of the year, unless for some us fire season gets in the road.

I suspect that the traffic down around Yass is ACTES, and remember they have always been digital so they migrated pretty painlessly.

Cheers,

Richard

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:45 am

JAFO wrote:Did the trip down to Albury the past week and P25 Sites are active all the way down pass Yass. Was still picking up the Yass P25 Site as far south as the Jugiong Township.
Hi Grant,

In Jugiong? You must have a good antenna! That must have been off Bulls Head or Ginini? Black Trig is the little lump as you are going south out of Yass but that doesn't get in to Jugiong.

Cheers,

Richard

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:58 pm

ivahri wrote:...ACTES, and remember they have always been digital so they migrated pretty painlessly...
I was in Canberra a couple of weeks ago and I don't think the ACTESA has even started migrating yet? They are still using Type II digital TGs and while Bungendore, Captains Flat and Cooma have all changed over to P25 I couldn't find any active P25 sites in the ACT at all?

For those that don't know, the ACT Emergency Services Agency runs all the emergency services (and some services that aren't) in our nation's capital with the exception of the Federal Police. They got an enormous injection of funding after the Canberra fires a few years ago and moved pretty much all services in the ACT over onto the ACTTRN (which is seamlessly integrated with the NSWGRN). From what I've heard, all services have the same radio profile, so any agency can talk to any other agency and they all share a common "Comcen" which would be a huge bonus when it comes to disaster management.

And the fact that they are already using digital on the old Omnilink system makes absolutely no difference to their migration to the new system, they still have a massive profile upgrade to roll out just the same as the rest of us! The only thing that may be an advantage is that if they were to put audio links in place between the old and the new systems then they won't have to deal with the whole analogue to digital issue while the changeover is underway?

Andrew

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:11 am

Andrew,

Actually it makes a BIG difference... it relates to site & link capacity. Where sites have a high percentage of analogue users migration to P25 needs to be carefully managed as channels are switched from analogue to P25. In the ACT most traffic is already Astro, a tiny amount analogue. The only thing that needs to be done is the Astro channels are rerouted to the new NOCC and the bases go through a minor upgrade- no impact on site capacity at all since only ACTES were using Astro anyway! That is why they were always going to be the first group to migrate and I think you will find that is not far off.

The ACTTRN IS part of the NSW GRN, to suggest it is "integrated" is pretty silly when all of the network control is done in Sydney. It would be like calling all sites south of Nowra the "South Coast GRN" because they were built later. It is one network, all the ACT system is is a small number of extra sites funded by the ACT Government. It is managed & maintained as a single network.

Unless you lose the single Comcen... have they learnt anything from the Canberra fires? I wonder what their fallback is?

Cheers,

Richard

vk2fear

Post by vk2fear » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:28 pm

Very true sire Richard
ivahri wrote:Andrew,

Actually it makes a BIG difference... it relates to site & link capacity. Where sites have a high percentage of analogue users migration to P25 needs to be carefully managed as channels are switched from analogue to P25. In the ACT most traffic is already Astro, a tiny amount analogue. The only thing that needs to be done is the Astro channels are rerouted to the new NOCC and the bases go through a minor upgrade- no impact on site capacity at all since only ACTES were using Astro anyway! That is why they were always going to be the first group to migrate and I think you will find that is not far off.

The ACTTRN IS part of the NSW GRN, to suggest it is "integrated" is pretty silly when all of the network control is done in Sydney. It would be like calling all sites south of Nowra the "South Coast GRN" because they were built later. It is one network, all the ACT system is is a small number of extra sites funded by the ACT Government. It is managed & maintained as a single network.

Unless you lose the single Comcen... have they learnt anything from the Canberra fires? I wonder what their fallback is?

Cheers,

Richard
Call sign:VK2FEAR
SCANNING WITH:
FT8800 x2 - FT60 - UBC245XLT - UBC120 - UBC72XLT - UBC780xlt - UBCD396T -
UBCD996T x2 - TX-3800 x2 - T-2020 66/88mhz X 4 - T-2010 66/88mhz x4 - TS-480 sat

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:48 pm

agree too Richard and Nathan..

the problem I have is it causes a massive catastrophy before funds are injected into emergency services...

haven't any governments heard of prevention is better than the cure....