Capacity Upgrade Tender...

Wonky

Capacity Upgrade Tender...

Post by Wonky » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:04 pm

For those who may have missed it, article online today about looking to increase backhaul and network capacity:

http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/governm ... 03k00.html

ivahri

Re: Capacity Upgrade Tender...

Post by ivahri » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:56 pm

One day I hope to read a comment from Paul Budde that reflects that he knows what he is talking about... you can always pick a failed consultant, they become media commentators... why why why would critical communications wish to be carried by a public network of dubious quality like the NBN? For a start it covers next to none of NSW! Stupid!

Cheers

Richard

news

Post by news » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:31 am

ivahri wrote:One day I hope to read a comment from Paul Budde that reflects that he knows what he is talking about... you can always pick a failed consultant, they become media commentators... why why why would critical communications wish to be carried by a public network of dubious quality like the NBN? For a start it covers next to none of NSW! Stupid!

Cheers

Richard
Richard, you forgot to include another category. "professional students" and MANY University and TAFE teachers in the failed consultants list.

I have lost count of the number of "teachers" I have had which have an arm long list of educational qualifications however have no real industry(on the tools) experience in what they are teaching.

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:42 am

Very true News... but Paul Budde has been around since Moses was a lad and I have never seen him involved in a major government radio network project. I doubt that he would even know how a trunking or conventional radio network functioned, or what is involved in providing the infrastructure to support these. His view of the industry is from an airport travel lounge... honestly if the answer to the problems of the universe was the "NBN" doesn't he think the people making the decisions have gone that way? No one wants to spend mega millions on new networks if the coverage & capacity existed by using a carrier based solution. Budde is like those you describe News who have never looked beyond their little bubble and had to make something work where there is nothing much there now.

Cheers

Richard

cartman

Post by cartman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:51 am

The tender must have been issued ... because

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article ... o-network/
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Wonky

Post by Wonky » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:15 pm

So is the upgrade anything to do with Phase 2 or unrelated improvements?

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:21 am

I haven't seen any mention of Phase 2 for the NSWGRN anywhere.... Which is sad because I think it is a good thing.

The downside is that agencies will need to fork out $$ to upgrade to Phase 2 capable APX series radios....

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi all,
They'll have to think about it soon. The amount of sites that seem to run at capacity most of the time, especially during fire season. Other agencies don't seem to change away from their home channel no matter where they are.
I guess a bonus is some have already have the P2 radios ready to go.
Cheers
VK2MRC

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:39 pm

And still no mention of any new in-building or portable black-spot fill-in sites?

2015 was supposed to be the deadline for a whole heap of PMR uses to migrate to the GRN and we're nearly in the second quarter already, I would've thought we'd have seen a lot more activity on the infrastructure side of things by now!

Andrew

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:58 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:And still no mention of any new in-building or portable black-spot fill-in sites?

2015 was supposed to be the deadline for a whole heap of PMR uses to migrate to the GRN and we're nearly in the second quarter already, I would've thought we'd have seen a lot more activity on the infrastructure side of things by now!

Andrew
And as per Cartman's post recently, NSW police have a repeater now at Audley Weir. Ambos have attended a few accidents in the National Park recently and I heard them let the operator know they will be out of contact as they drive through. Not good enough GRN!

Mike