Call (not Phone) Function

scanSydney
Site Admin

Call (not Phone) Function

Post by scanSydney » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:19 am

Hi guys,

Today, I was running some RFS members through the XTL5000 O3 handsets for their annual competencies, and I decided to give the radio-to-radio (CALL) function a go. Worked really well; very impressed by it.

One thing I wasn't sure about it, does it cost anything to do this? I completely understand using the "PHON" function to call a landline would (logical), but radio-to-radio? Is there a downside of using this?

Cheers.

system_tech

Re: Call (not Phone) Function

Post by system_tech » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:16 am

Thats easy!

NO COST.

It's just a discrete radio to radio connection, equivalent of giving the two radios their own "talkgroup" for the duration of the call.

Of course while the two radios are off on their Private Call they won't hear any traffic on their usual talkgroup. They may miss an important transmission.

Not recommend for "rank & file" / normal agency units and years ago RFS did not want average members to use the function so didn't mention it in training. The mobile radios at the time (MCS2000) in fire appliances / brigade vehicles did not have numeric keypad microphones and hence no way of entering the call number for another radio. Only FCO / DFCO and above had numeric keypad mics (not sure about group officers). Only certain radios were allowed phone access (normally FCO / DFCO and above). The "Average Joe" portables, (Type 2 - MTS2000) had only menu keys and not the numeric keypad for the same reasons. Without numeric keypads the only way to make a private call was to have a menu list of call numbers which had to be pre-programned and of course none were programmed.

ST

movealong

Post by movealong » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:18 am

The biggest downside is that you are tying up radio channels with individual calls.
If too many people start doing this it can cause system busies.

scanSydney
Site Admin

Post by scanSydney » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:00 pm

Thanks for the information guys, much appreciated! :)

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:04 pm

And of course, as we know from Sydney Ferries, a "Private Call" is far from private, anyone monitoring either of the sites to which the radios are affiliated can still listen in on the conversation.

I do agree that this function is not something that the majority of users should be made aware of, the potential for misuse is too great.

Andrew

Mr Flibble
Site Admin

Post by Mr Flibble » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:05 pm

It shouldn't create busy system lockout due to talkgroup audio being prioritised over Private Call audio.