Miranda GRN ????

freqwaves

Re: Miranda GRN ????

Post by freqwaves » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Wouldn't surprise me that Westfields put up the rent to have it on their property.They like to push their tenants around & give you limited options.Either that or the coverage was better at Kirrawee.

John.

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:02 pm

freqwaves wrote:Wouldn't surprise me that Westfields put up the rent to have it on their property.They like to push their tenants around & give you limited options.Either that or the coverage was better at Kirrawee.

John.
I would say both but it appears the non-licencing has a few rough edges around the situation.

ST

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:19 pm

Yep, the fact that ACMA weren't informed makes it clear that whoever made the change didn't act in a proper or legal manner.

Perhaps things like this are part of the reason the current network managers didn't win the tender the second time around and Airwaves did....

Just thinkin' out loud here guys :geek:

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:24 pm

Miranda Westfield is undergoing major redevelopment at the moment. I don't know if this would affect the site, but if it does then the move may not be permanent.

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:42 pm

Scotty wrote:Miranda Westfield is undergoing major redevelopment at the moment. I don't know if this would affect the site, but if it does then the move may not be permanent.
Yep, half the building has been demolished so I'd say it had to be moved. I'm thinking they just unhooked the equipment rack from Miranda and relocated it to Kirrawee with maybe a microwave link connecting it back to the network.

I don't think there is a new antenna up at Kirrawee because from the older Google street view pictures, the tower doesn't seem to have gained an antenna. Is it possible they can use a diplexer and have both the GRN and MDRS running up the same antenna ??

All that really has to be done is to change the site details in ACMA.

Mike

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:20 pm

Mike Alpha wrote:
Scotty wrote:Miranda Westfield is undergoing major redevelopment at the moment. I don't know if this would affect the site, but if it does then the move may not be permanent.
Yep, half the building has been demolished so I'd say it had to be moved. I'm thinking they just unhooked the equipment rack from Miranda and relocated it to Kirrawee with maybe a microwave link connecting it back to the network.

I don't think there is a new antenna up at Kirrawee because from the older Google street view pictures, the tower doesn't seem to have gained an antenna. Is it possible they can use a diplexer and have both the GRN and MDRS running up the same antenna ??

All that really has to be done is to change the site details in ACMA.

Mike
Changing the site details means you have to apply for the changes in advance of the move, and have it noted to take effect on a certain day. Have done that with systems I look after when we did moves.

Operation without a valid licence may breach s113 of the Act.

Another thing you would need to do is have an RF Engineer do a Frequency / Intermod study taking into account existing frequencies and your new frequencies to ensure you won't interfere ( usually by desensing of causing intermods) with existing users at the site, or indeed yourself as an intermod mix may end up back on one of your own Rx frequencies. (own goal).

Willfully causing interference to other users, who are of course protected by their existing and VALID licences (willful = NO RF Study) is covered by s197 of the Act. (Any competent RF Manager will NOT EVER forget to do an RF / Intermod Study).

So you just can't move in on a site with your gear and turn it on. You need a valid licence and you have to make sure you are not causing interference or have the potential to cause interference.

As for ACMA just ticking off your application to move the frequencies, there is about a 1 month to 2 month delay in processing and that assumes that your frequencies don't break any of the assignment rules and need changing. (And it assumes you haven't already annoyed the ACMA by running your site in breach of the Act.

S T

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:28 am

Surely they haven't moved it "illegally"?. I'd be more inclined to think the proper process has been followed and the changes just haven't been updated on the ACMA database. When the move happened we just don't know. I was oblivious to it even though I'm down that way a fair bit.

And I think it is a permanent move to Kirrawee. Looking at the artist impression of the new development, there doesn't seem to be any height in the new building.
http://www.westfield.com.au/miranda/red ... nouncement
http://www.theleader.com.au/story/15522 ... t/?cs=2137
http://www.theleader.com.au/story/16492 ... t/?cs=1507

Mike

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:04 am

Looks like the paper work got through. http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/site_ ... _ID=100041

413.150MHz is active but not listed at Kirrawee.

Mike

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:41 pm

Guys, enough thanks.

Personal comments and attacks are not welcome here. I've deleted the posts at the point where the thread lost all technical value and became personal.

Thanks