Need to Delete inactive users

soupbones

Re: Need to Delete inactive users

Post by soupbones » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:16 am

I may as well jump in on this, since I agree with Cartman on this one. Elitism it is not, in my opinion. Though people here may think this, booting not participating members is common not only on internet forum and mailing lists, but in real life clubs as well. I am speaking from experience here as well, being a member of a society a while ago now, and hardly turning up to the events and meetings. They used to send you a monthly news letter and your membership fee renewal every 3 months. But when you didn't turn up, and you did not bother, well, they just did not bother with you. Fair enough if you ask me. If someone can't be bothered with the group, why should the group b bothered with them?
So if someone joins this forum, and then never bothers to show up again, why should they have a membership here? If you never turned up for work again, would your boss keep your job for you? I don't think so. Its the human nature of social groups to remove those who are not interested in being part of the particular social scene. Its not elitism at all. It does not mean we are better then them, it means they really don't have the same things in common as us, to be interested enough to participate in the same social group, thats all.

So boot the non active members I say, let them go back to their knitting forums!

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:55 am

cartman wrote:....abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern.....
You just proved yourself wrong with your own quote!!!! Dopey boy indeed.

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:16 am

soupbones wrote:I may as well jump in on this, since I agree with Cartman on this one. Elitism it is not, in my opinion. Though people here may think this, booting not participating members is common not only on internet forum and mailing lists, but in real life clubs as well. I am speaking from experience here as well, being a member of a society a while ago now, and hardly turning up to the events and meetings. They used to send you a monthly news letter and your membership fee renewal every 3 months. But when you didn't turn up, and you did not bother, well, they just did not bother with you. Fair enough if you ask me. If someone can't be bothered with the group, why should the group b bothered with them?
So if someone joins this forum, and then never bothers to show up again, why should they have a membership here? If you never turned up for work again, would your boss keep your job for you? I don't think so. Its the human nature of social groups to remove those who are not interested in being part of the particular social scene. Its not elitism at all. It does not mean we are better then them, it means they really don't have the same things in common as us, to be interested enough to participate in the same social group, thats all.

So boot the non active members I say, let them go back to their knitting forums!
There is one particular volunteer emergency service that has kicked out at least 5 member because they turned upto training when they weren't working and apparently that wasn't good enough for them.
That I find idiotic as the whole idea behind a volunteer emergency service is you get out of the service what you put in, and turn up when you can..

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:20 am

Hi all,

For what it is worth I don't believe in deleting inactive users. I run a number of yahoo groups & would never delete anyone for not posting, but I would if they were pests. What harm do they do? Lurkers are a fundamental part of the internet and whether they are around to collect information to learn or in some cases just to spy on what people write, surely that is what these forums are set up for? I often post knowing that what I write will be forwarded on to others- if I didn't expect stuff that I write to be noticed I wouldn't bother writing it! Different people contribute to differing extents, that is the way it is. People shouldn't be "forced" to contribute if that means them posting just for the sake of posting to stay on the forum. That does nothing for the quality of posts.

My biggest gripe with some forums is address farming by spammers. To my knowledge this doesn't happen here.

Move on... life is too short.

Cheers,

Richard

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:29 am

centralcoastscanman wrote:
There is one particular volunteer emergency service that has kicked out at least 5 member because they turned upto training when they weren't working and apparently that wasn't good enough for them.
That I find idiotic as the whole idea behind a volunteer emergency service is you get out of the service what you put in, and turn up when you can..[/quote]

Surely even in a volunteer emergency service organisation there is a certain minimum level of committment that is needed? If they don't have the personal discipline to attend then maybe they will be of little use when they really are needed. We had a little drama here at 5am this morning and had to get the RFS boys down- at a God awful hour of the morning to deal with something non-fire related they came in droves... now that illustrates committment.

I don't see the parallel with the issue being discussed. This is an internet forum for pete's sake, no-one's life is hanging off what goes on here.

Cheers,

Richard

cartman

Post by cartman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:48 am

citabria wrote:
cartman wrote:....abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern.....
You just proved yourself wrong with your own quote!!!! Dopey boy indeed.

A bit rich coming from you.
Modesty and restraint has never been one of your strengths

Grant

PS
Last time I looked i wasn't the forum owner.
Given the way folk attack others personally obviously this is an issue people tend to have an opinion.
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:34 pm

cartman wrote: A bit rich coming from you.
Not really - you just shot yourself in the foot by posting two definitions without even thinking or reading them first...
cartman wrote: Modesty and restraint has never been one of your strengths
Thats two attributes, not one. In any case, would you prefer I say nothing and just lurk around here? Oh hang on - this whole thread is about people non contributing and here you are attacking me for speaking my mind!!
cartman wrote: PS
Last time I looked i wasn't the forum owner.
So why are you here trying to tell him how to run his site?

cartman

Post by cartman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:30 pm

Not really - you just shot yourself in the foot by posting two definitions without even thinking or reading them first...
I do not boast in private or public how good i am - in reality it is probably the reverse.
I note that you are the one who is calling me "dopey boy" ie perjuative statment .... to which i replied a bit rich coming from you
Thats two attributes, not one. In any case, would you prefer I say nothing and just lurk around here?
Oh hang on - this whole thread is about people non contributing and here you are attacking me for speaking my mind!!
You have changed your tune.
On 15th september 2009 on the NSWGRN subforum - under discussion on "TG 55312"

JAFO wrote:
...no wonder so many turn their backs on these Scanning Forums and the hobby!....

Citabria wrote in reply:
With the number of leechers and non-contributors, it's no wonder that people keep info to themselves!

So why are you here trying to tell him how to run his site
The section is suggestions for site assistance and issues
I am making a suggestion - a strongly felt one - and given that i do make a contribution here, i am quite within my rights to raise the subject
He can make up his mind to act or not

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Chrisco

Post by Chrisco » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:16 pm

I don't really care one way or the other I do agree with citabria. I have sign up to other forums like the railpage forum, ATDB, ozfire and other scanning related forums. I wouldn't visit those forums within 3 months, email alerts works well when someone posts (very occasionally)on scanning type threads.I go log in and read and reply if needed.There has been one occasion where my username didn't exist it might of been deleted or misspelled/forgot password, so I just signed up again.
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:41 pm

I think there is some confusion here, between inactive registered members, and lurkers, who are not really inactive members, just ones that do not post or contribute much at all.

I think inactive members should be cleaned out, but thats for the forum owner to do. Lurkers in my opinion these days are ok to stay, as they still get something out of the forum.

Cleaning out in active accounts frees up a small amount of server space, and gives you an accurate showing of the forums true member ship, that is people who actually visit the forum and use it.