Need to Delete inactive users

cartman

Need to Delete inactive users

Post by cartman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:31 pm

Perhaps a new years resolution - the Need to Delete inactive users

This is a pet hate of mine - namely people who lurk on forums but never contribute
Although the owner of the former forum site known as Scannsw and I have had our differences, he was very effective on this one .... no contribution meant they would be deleted after a time

I had a look at this problem on ScanSydney and there were several dozen in this category a couple of months ago... no posts and many who have never come back after the initial signup. I was going to compile a hit list but i have a lot of pc problems since november ... at the moment i am using an old toshiba which is only just limping along barely alive.

I have no issues if the 150 members plus becomes 75 or 100 - so long as they are active.

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

criten

Re: Need to Delete inactive users

Post by criten » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:32 pm

cartman wrote:This is a pet hate of mine - namely people who lurk on forums but never contribute
I post but I don't really contribute. Delete me too plz kthnx.

Its not like any of the information discussed here cannot be figured out given enough time & the right equipment.

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:38 pm

i'd have to agree cartman, if people have only ever signed in once and it was like 3 months ago delete em

If they have logged in regularly but not posted a message for 3 months delete em

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:29 pm

This is a bit obtuse I think.

Certainly delete a member if they have joined and never posted .. if thats the way you feel.

But have to post every 3 months to retain membership will see a number of useless posts.

As for myself, I would only post if I could add actual information to a thread, not uninformed speculation as some do. If I don't post, so be it.

Perhaps those with far too much spare time on their hands could sift through the posts and determine those members that "are useful or not", and delete those not worth keeping. perhaps delete those who have only posted crap. Go for it! Perhaps find someone with a big enough ego to determine who is worthwhile member or not.

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm not a fan of deleting inactive users. Some forums I do more searching than talking, and sometimes I don't go back for several months. To remove people like that does not help the hobby nor does it encourage people to join up and help - its elitism and I don't think its right.

At the end of the day its the site owners decision - so MR ScanSydney, what say you?

cartman

Post by cartman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:08 am

Elitism my arse!!

As I said earlier "there are members with no posts and many who have never come back after the initial signup"
There are 104 members out of 175 that have posted a grand total of zippo ... ZERO.
While some maybe new, a good 95% have been around for ages.

Given some of the nasty exchanges that have already taken place on this forum between certain folk (which displayed both egotism and elitism) i don't know how somebody can make my suggestion "elitist" .... at least I try to get some discussion going by posting what i am monitoring ... which is at the heart of scanning. More fun than reading or pinching information off a code plug or official database.

Grant
Last edited by cartman on Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:19 am

It's elitism - some people just come here to read and get tips on what to do. You are suggesting we delete these people for non-participation! Mals post begins to describe my sentiments exactly - who are we to judge who stays and goes?

Not everyone has to post lists of 10,000 IDs or talkgroups or frequencies in order to enjoy the hobby - as much as I wish there were more activity here and in scanning/radio in general, I dont' believe removing users is the right way to increase peoples enjoyment of the forums and promote the hobby in general. :)

cartman

Post by cartman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:40 am

Wikipedia: Elitism is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite — a select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight or those who view their own views as so; whose views and/or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern.

Wikipedia: Egotism is the motivation to maintain and enhance favorable views of oneself. Egotism means placing oneself at the center of one's world with no direct concern for others. It is closely related to narcissism, or "loving one's self," and the possible tendency to speak or write of oneself boastfully and at great length. Egotism may coexist with delusions of one's own importance, even at the denial of others. This conceit is a character trait describing a person who acts to gain values in an amount excessively greater than that which he/she gives to others. Egotism is often accomplished by exploiting the altruism, irrationality and ignorance of others, as well as utilizing coercive force and/or fraud

Pretty clear from my posts in general that i don't fall into either category.

Grant
Scanners:
Software:

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:28 am

system_tech wrote:This is a bit obtuse I think.

Certainly delete a member if they have joined and never posted .. if thats the way you feel.

But have to post every 3 months to retain membership will see a number of useless posts.

As for myself, I would only post if I could add actual information to a thread, not uninformed speculation as some do. If I don't post, so be it.

Perhaps those with far too much spare time on their hands could sift through the posts and determine those members that "are useful or not", and delete those not worth keeping. perhaps delete those who have only posted crap. Go for it! Perhaps find someone with a big enough ego to determine who is worthwhile member or not.
3 month was just something that came to mind, it would obviously be upto the admin to determine that but I can see your point of view very well.

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:34 am

another suggestion i just thought of, is get people when they join to post a message somwhere introducing themselves and telling others what sort of things they like to listen to..