A career in radio communications.

alphamike

A career in radio communications.

Post by alphamike » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:23 pm

Perusing through the forum it seems quite a lot of you are involved in a various range of things. They all seem quite interesting.

So what do you do and who for?, if it's not secret.
I recently applied for a job with the government, though unfortunately believe i didn't get the position.

My interest has grown quite quickly over the last few years.
I'd really like to get involved with something like programming or installing, even being a radio operator.
So what do you suggest, any advice or direction would be wonderful.

Regards

ivahri

Re: A career in radio communications.

Post by ivahri » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:07 am

Hi Alex,

I don't see any point in hiding the fact that I work for one of the emergency services (NSWFB), and have done for quite some years now. My background is in mobile radio and I've been working around large radio government networks for over 20 years now. For those who are here & work in the industry I'm sure they've worked out who I am by now.

If your interest is just in radio programming or installation you would be better off talking to one of the major vendors, such as Moto, as they are always looking for new blood. But there is so much more to radio than sitting in front of a laptop writing profiles (believe me I know that better than most!) and while we always need good radio installers we need good radio systems techs even more. It is getting harder & harder to find techs that truly understand RF, how it works & good practice, and we see more with an "IT" approach to it. These days RF techs need to have at least a basic understanding of IT but you can't treat them as one, RF is fundamentally analogue (no matter how we may move towards digital modulation) and it doesn't always behave as 1s and zeros. Many IT folk can't cope with that...

You do need to do some serious study. While qualifications are not always essential for employment the theory knowledge is more important than some think & it is also a sign to an employer that you are "fair dinkum".

Good luck!

Richard

Bass Junkie

Post by Bass Junkie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:05 pm

ivahri wrote:Hi Alex,

I don't see any point in hiding the fact that I work for one of the emergency services (NSWFB), and have done for quite some years now. My background is in mobile radio and I've been working around large radio government networks for over 20 years now. For those who are here & work in the industry I'm sure they've worked out who I am by now.

If your interest is just in radio programming or installation you would be better off talking to one of the major vendors, such as Moto, as they are always looking for new blood. But there is so much more to radio than sitting in front of a laptop writing profiles (believe me I know that better than most!) and while we always need good radio installers we need good radio systems techs even more. It is getting harder & harder to find techs that truly understand RF, how it works & good practice, and we see more with an "IT" approach to it. These days RF techs need to have at least a basic understanding of IT but you can't treat them as one, RF is fundamentally analogue (no matter how we may move towards digital modulation) and it doesn't always behave as 1s and zeros. Many IT folk can't cope with that...

You do need to do some serious study. While qualifications are not always essential for employment the theory knowledge is more important than some think & it is also a sign to an employer that you are "fair dinkum".

Good luck!

Richard
What kind of qualifications can one research? I was going to have a look around a while ago, but wasn't quite sure what to look for in terms of industry jargon, etc. FYI I am a Unix Systems Admin, so would unfortunately be coming from an I.T. perspective, but would just like to broaden my options a bit :)

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Something like:

Radio Trades Certificate
Electronic Trades Certificate
Electronic and Communications Certificate (Associate Diploma level)
Electronic Engineering Certificate (Associate Diploma level)

and similar / updated courses

and / or trade qualifications such as

Radio Fitter / Mechanic
Telecommunications Technician

where you have done practical work with some of the items (not saying a single person wil have all of these) such as
transmitters and receivers
antennas
power supplies / batteries
control and alarm systems
RF test and measurement equipment and methods
RF propagation
RF interference detection and resolution
equipment installation skills
RF cabling
telecommunications style cabling
microwave systems
2Mbit and higher data systems
multiplexers / demultiplexers
SCADA / telemetry / monitoring

unfortunately knowing only how to program a Cisco Router will not cut the miustard

however, if you in your hobbies / interests have included:

built electronic equipment
built antennas
programmed radios / scanners
obtained an Amateur Licence
understand basic propagation
understand ducting

and so on

you have developed an interest and insight and I would say make a good start with further on the job and theoretical training

you are off to a good start

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:35 am

Installing Radio Gear - I wish!

After being trained as a Army Signaller / Operator, found the whole radio thing very interesting, but to follow a career in the Radio Side of things would mean me being seriously injured and becoming non-operational, and I not that keen for that to happen.

So I'll just continue playing with my scanners and amateur radio gear and annoying Richard & Mal every once and a while.

Cheers Guys
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi Grant,

Feel free to annoy me anytime...

I can't say I've seen many radio types injuring themselves... other than through the standard radio techs diet of Maccas, Hungry Jacks, pizzas and coke... sort of like a typical Station Officer really!

The great thing about electronics is that there is such a wide range of specialties that you can choose and even within the RF field there is a huge variety of niches to choose from. I was lucky as I came in through a teenage hobby (shortwave listening & 1970's 27MHz CB) to a traineeship after year 12. I did the "E&C" and it was a slog for 4 years but I'd hate to have to do it when I'm older... but I know at least 2 of my class mates at North Sydney TAFE are currently in responsible radio jobs so it must have been worth it. I'm told I got my traineeship because my love for radio came through in the interview- and that is important as you don't have to be a genius to be a radio tech. Just healthy curiosity & a keenness to learn. I find the best techs have a love for it, those who are in it for the money (besides being desperate) don't tend to have the right attitude. So hobbyists can & do transition in to the industry well.

My love is antennas & RF propagation... below 1GHz some see it as Black Magic but the feeling of "knowing" where a signal will reach by "instinct" and seeing it backed up by science is "cool"... at least to me anyway.

But yes, pizzas and coke was how I was paid by my mentor! Doesn't it show now...

Cheers,

Richard

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:02 pm

ivahri wrote:Hi Grant,

Feel free to annoy me anytime...

Cheers,

Richard

I'll keep that in mind Richard if I ever go on Light Duties again for a long duration. I fill 3 months in the Radio Tech section would have been more interesting then sitting around a station’s watchroom answering phones for that time.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT