WWIII hypothetical....

Mike Alpha

WWIII hypothetical....

Post by Mike Alpha » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:15 pm

Curious to know what the expected role of emergency services would be, if any, should an end of days type world war were to happen?

Are ambos and firees expected to "hang around" and wait for the bombs to fall, or is it a case of every man and woman for themselves?

Just thinking out aloud :?

Mike

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: WWIII hypothetical....

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:15 pm

Do you really think 'they' would issue any advance warning, even to emergency services?

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:Do you really think 'they' would issue any advance warning, even to emergency services?
Well you'd think in this age of instant information someone would tweet that the missiles are on the way?

Mike

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:23 am

Ill just wait for either
1) The phone call from my duty officer or
2) My pager to go off
Other than that if i was monitoring i might take interest but ill just wait and see.
Cheers
VK2MRC

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:39 pm

I think you would find it very similar to 911 . . .

I like many other Career Emergency Service Workers . . . took an oath to Protect Life & Property . . . Just my bad luck if I'm on shift . . . and if WWIII did start . . . and main land Australia was attacked . . . after a couple of Day if not a couple of hours I think you would see an order calling majority of our Permanent Emergency Service workers back to duty . . . especially in Capital and Major Regional Cities, to provide extra crews for search & Rescue and possible immediate fire response for key facilities such as key transport hubs, Power Stations, military bases etc.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:42 pm

But surely you wouldn't be called in to work if it was an all out nuclear war? Are you trained for this?

Mike

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:26 am

Mike Alpha wrote:But surely you wouldn't be called in to work if it was an all out nuclear war? Are you trained for this?

Mike
Fire, Rescue & Hazmat . . . who do you think is going to undertake Firefighting, Search & Rescue of Damaged Buildings, Decontaminate Injured people before entering a Hospital or Field Hospital Facility?

The Australian Army only has about a 5,000 Ready Reactive Response Force (those who can be deployed within 1 to 12hrs) out of the 44,000 or so Active Permanent & Reserve Australian Army Members. Majority are on a 7day, 14day and then 30day Field Ready Deployment Standby. You then have about 20,000 Standby Reserves (Ex-Aus Army Members) who should be field ready within 60-90 Days of being reactivated . . . . even less then for Navy and RAAF, of which only have about 15,000 Active Member each.

Your State & Territory Emergency Service Personnel - Full-time & Volunteer . . . in the scope of things . . . have and always will have a major role to play in the Civil Defense and Security of our country. Put simple . . . we just don't have the required number of Trained ADF Members to provide Fire, Rescue & Medical Support within the Services as it is . . . many of the State & Territory Emergency Service Personnel - Full-time & Volunteer will be called to provide services to both our Civilian and Military Communities until Recruitment into the Rank & File of our ADF Services get into full swing.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:18 pm

JAFO wrote: Fire, Rescue & Hazmat . . . who do you think is going to undertake Firefighting, Search & Rescue of Damaged Buildings, Decontaminate Injured people before entering a Hospital or Field Hospital Facility?
I understand that would be the case in a relatively survivable war, but can I put this scenario to you; Somewhere in the South Pacific, a hostile nation has launched 4 nuclear missiles from a submarine and they're heading for Sydney. ETA 4 hours.

What is expected of the Emergency Services, considering the amount of death and destruction coming, before the bombs hit? Are they given an option to be with family and save themselves?

I see the training exercises for plane crashes, terror attacks and building collapses, but I've never seen a nuclear war exercise.

Mike

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:21 pm

An SLBM missile flight time is in the order of tens of minutes, not hours.

It's not a nice scenario at all..

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:38 pm

citabria wrote:An SLBM missile flight time is in the order of tens of minutes, not hours.

It's not a nice scenario at all..
Would have to agree Citabria . . . 40min Tops for a intercontinental missile.

I spent near 20yrs Involved in one way or another in the ADF . . . for what you are saying . . . majority of Sydney's Population wouldn't even know what hit them . . . 40min would be the bar minim needed to get a warning out to the public . . . would be flat out trying to get out of Sydney and if I was at work . . . where the f@#% and I going to go . . . my family is nearly 30min away from work for me to see my family . . . without traffic
JAFO
VK2FGQ