Listening to your scanner around the house

freqwaves

Listening to your scanner around the house

Post by freqwaves » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:29 pm

Sometimes you want to listen to your scanner while connected to your base aerials,especially when you need to lock onto a control channel for continous reception but just want to be working somewhere else around the house.
My first setup was using a Tevion transmitter with 2x stereo speakers which run off batteries or plug packs.Transmits on 433mhz band at around 200mW.
Second setup was using a mini FM (1w) transmitter which transmits on the commercial FM band (88-107mhz). So you can tune in using a normal AM/FM radio anywhere in the house. Just need to pick a free spot on the FM band.

Interested to know what other people have used?

John.

Scotty

Re: Listening to your scanner around the house

Post by Scotty » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:40 am

Interesting topic.

I use a little rechargable Bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the audio socket when either at home or when out using a portable. It runs for most of the day on a single USB charge. I then pair this with a variety of BT headphones or BT speakers, depending on what is needed. When out I can pair it with some good audio BT headphones (which appear as if I'm listening to music) or with a little inner ear set (about the size of a hearing aid) which is nice and discreet.

Range is limited, but I get around all the inside of the house and rear deck. Not so much my backyard. Benefit is BT speakers and earphones are available everywhere - and will even connect with your car system if set up correctly.

OnAir

Post by OnAir » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:03 pm

Transmitting on the FM Broadcast band @ 1w is WAY over the permitted power limit per the LIPD (10uW). You would need to be very careful with that one. Could get the attention of the ACMA. I use a commercial FM rig tuned into the 433MHz LIPD allocation @ 25mW and VOX key it from the main scanner. Then just listen on a cheap hand held. Covers the house, front & back yards no problems.

Jeff

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:49 pm

Put the scanner in my pocket :-)
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:32 pm

OnAir wrote:Transmitting on the FM Broadcast band @ 1w is WAY over the permitted power limit per the LIPD (10uW). You would need to be very careful with that one.
Agree but it's surprising what you can buy on ebay!