Transmitting in digital on UHFCB

freqwaves

Transmitting in digital on UHFCB

Post by freqwaves » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:45 pm

I think the answer is going to be a NO but I could not find any information on the net leading to whether you can transmit in digital mode on UHFCB band.
This band is still analogue only?

Thanks, John.

Sigint

Re: Transmitting in digital on UHFCB

Post by Sigint » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:37 pm

freqwaves wrote:I think the answer is going to be a NO but I could not find any information on the net leading to whether you can transmit in digital mode on UHFCB band.
This band is still analogue only?
The UHFCB Band is still analogue only - F3E (Frequency Modulation) or G3E (Phase Modulation), and there is even a page on the ACMA Site stating that modes such as APRS are NOT allowed.

--
Sigint

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:52 pm

I know it's not 'in the spirit' of the definition but I do occasionally use P25 on UHFCB channels 22 & 23, they're supposed to be reserved for data transmissions only.

(P25 is data right? ;) )

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:20 pm

Thanks guys,
We have a lot of customers using UHFCB because it's a free license band but as more get interested in going digital we will have to recommend they apply for a commercial frequency license. Also applying for some commercial frequency licenses ourselves which we can rent out to customers.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:00 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:I know it's not 'in the spirit' of the definition but I do occasionally use P25 on UHFCB channels 22 & 23, they're supposed to be reserved for data transmissions only.

(P25 is data right? ;) )
Data, as in telemetry and telecommand, technically with a duty cycle of up to 10 seconds in 60 minutes - that must make for some very, very interesting (and quick!) 'overs' ;)

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Oh well, I figure the fine for not complying with the terms of a class licence is probably less than the fine for transmitting on an unlicenced frequency assignment?

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:19 am

If no interference is caused I'd image the chances of any Anthority becoming involved, and therefore any fine being issued, are so slim it would hardly be worth a concern.

(Not saying we should all go against laws - most are there for valid reasons - just pointing out the obvious).