DAB radio in cars

freqwaves

DAB radio in cars

Post by freqwaves » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:00 pm

I would like to know if anyone has used a after market DAB radio in their car? Have read mixed reviews on radio reception unless the cars built in antenna is used.
I was looking at the In-car DAB+ receiver with FM transmitter (Cat AR-1902) from Jaycar but did not as yet find any reviews.
It uses a wire antenna which you need to run somewhere through your car. I would like the installation to look good without having too many wires exposed.
There was also talk on another forum of radio stations installing repeaters in the north west & south west of Sydney to improve DAB reception.

Thanks, John.

Chrisco

Re: DAB radio in cars

Post by Chrisco » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:21 pm

John,

I have a Kenwood DAB+ in my ute it fits into one DIN slot,I self installed, came with stick on wire antenna which goes on front windshield.The sound of the AM stations via DAB+ is fantastic. Coverage in GSA(Greater Syd Area) is okay patchy driving on the M7 (only drive that way once a year) on the north side is fantastic I believe they broadcast the DAB+ at Artarmon. Although some patches in the gully on Eastern Arterial Rd (at the speed camera) and on the Northern beaches around Brookvale/Manly Vale and Wakehurst Parkway. NO coverage in any of the tunnels. I have also read they have/planning to put some repeaters around the Sydney basin.
Unit also has CD player that can handle mp3
USB- Fantastic if you have a stick loaded with ton of music which you can have your music in folders rather than one huge playlist
3.5mm AUX plug your phone etc
It can handle ipod (not a Apple owner)
Phone mute
etc

http://www.avhub.com.au/news/incar/kenw ... nit-394065

Photo Of my set up
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4u8td26i3roy ... 7.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2u9fpj23f7bpp ... 3.jpg?dl=0

I have seen the outside DAB+ antennas for sale, I haven't bothered due to time to buy and install and usually switch to usb or play a CD + looking to upgrade wheels soon.
Last edited by Chrisco on Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:42 pm

I was speaking to a Car audio installer 2 weeks ago about this, and he said that almost every customer who had a DAB capable radio was complaining how buggy it is.

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi all,
I brought a pocket DAB radio to try out and was vastly disappointed with it. Mind you i was trying it in Canberra at the time and the TX was on Black Mountain. basically as soon as you got out of line of site from Back Mountain the signal disappeared.
I also read the takeup in Canberra wasn't very big and those who had it were disappointed with it, having it with a fairly weak transmitter didn't help either.
Having tried HD radio in the US I don't understand why we didn't go that way? At least if you dont have a HD radio you can still listen, if you do you can have two or three channels off the one frequency.
Cheers
VK2MRC

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:58 pm

Or alternatively, you can just use your smart phone and connect to one of many internet radio sites like http://vtuner.com/setupapp/guide/asp/Br ... rtpage.asp that carry most of the Aussie radio stations.

I connect an audio lead from my phone into the auxiliary jack on my car radio and it sounds fine. Coverage where ever there is mobile data which is virtually everywhere.

Mike

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I own a Golf GTI which has a double DIN touchscreen stereo system. In the manual for the radio it talks about DAB radio but is refering to the european models. A check on forums talks about a extra inline tuner box (for the higher frequency range 200-250mhz) & a firmware upgrade of the radio. Seems a expensive exercise hence why I looked at the above. I like listening to "Pure Gold 80s"!

John.

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:24 pm

Stream it mate, much cheaper.
I use Pandora a lot personally, i'm not sure if DAB will ever be worthwhile here.
Cheers
Matt
VK2MRC