No scanners on trains in NZ

freqwaves

No scanners on trains in NZ

Post by freqwaves » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:07 pm

I just booked a trip on the Northern Explorer train in NZ & read this in the conditions of travel.Was for a minute thinking of taking my handheld!
Radio/iPods/MP3 players
Any electronic music devices may be used only with earphones at a volume that
cannot be heard by others. The operation of radio scanners is prohibited on
board KiwiRail Scenic Journeys services by anyone other than KiwiRail Scenic
Journeys staff.

They don't want you listening to their radio comms?

John.

Chrisco

Re: No scanners on trains in NZ

Post by Chrisco » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:51 pm

very specific John
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG

Garry

Post by Garry » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:59 pm

don't make it obvious that you are scanning
Happily Scanning Since 1983

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:56 pm

I think they mean radio transmitters can't be operated, ie CB or 2 way radios. A person with a simple understanding of such things probably wrote the conditions. It is not illegal to listen to radiocomms in NZ so I don't think they can stop you.

But it poses an interesting question, can an organisation stop you from listening in to their radio communications while you are on their premises as a condition of entry??

Mike

Garry

Post by Garry » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:35 pm

Hunter Stadium (Newcastle) has scanners on its prohibited items list on its website and on a sign at the gates
Happily Scanning Since 1983

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:06 pm

Garry wrote:Hunter Stadium (Newcastle) has scanners on its prohibited items list on its website and on a sign at the gates
What is their reasoning? So you can"t listen to their security comms? Or maybe the ref's and coach's? Bit pointless considering you can sit in your car across the road and listen anyway. :?

Mike

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:27 am

Mike Alpha wrote:I think they mean radio transmitters can't be operated, ie CB or 2 way radios. A person with a simple understanding of such things probably wrote the conditions. It is not illegal to listen to radiocomms in NZ so I don't think they can stop you. But it poses an interesting question, can an organisation stop you from listening in to their radio communications while you are on their premises as a condition of entry?? Mike

They can in fact stop you from boarding and travelling on the train because you have not complied with the conditions of carriage. It is the same as an airline. You play by their rules or you don't play. A number of cruise companies have the same policy. I have just completed an extensive overseas rail trip where it was obvious I was listening, and no one cared. But more and more today that is the exception rather than the rule.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks for the various replies. It will nearly be summer when I'm over there so won't have a big jacket to hide the scanner in but with that many people these days with earphones in they would maybe not notice.

John.