CFA now on Broadcastify

Longreach

CFA now on Broadcastify

Post by Longreach » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:24 pm

Hi all,

Just saw this on the Gippsland scanner feeds FB page, Interesting to see.

http://news.cfa.vic.gov.au/blog/listen- ... feeds.html

Cheers
VK2MRC

Scotty

Re: CFA now on Broadcastify

Post by Scotty » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:52 am

I believe the streaming has come about partly due to the new P25 trunked network down that way and the failure to arrange for 'listening sets' at stations, etc. There was a tender out a while back, but I don't know if it has been awarded at l this time. I believe instead of a RX radio in each station they are were looking at purchasing digital scanners, however came up empty handed when they found their were no base scanners sold in Oz that do P25 trunking.

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:40 am

From my experiance, most CFA Volunteer Stations are supplied with a full TX/RX Radio for the watchrooms. Even with the many CFA Rural Stations, which are usually just a shed to house a tanker with no crew facilities at all, the Station's Captain is usually supplied with a full TX/RX Radio for their house.

The listing sets were more for those CFA Volunteers who wanted to purchase Non-TX Radio sets to put in their vehicles or houses etc. The old VHF Sets were very popular with those CFA Volunteers in regional and rural areas, especially farmers of CFA Rural Brigads who did not get issued with pagers
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi There,

Just a few quick points.

There was no real failure to arrange anything, it's actually still a process that is being undertaken.

When there was the announcement of the new system it was raised as a point of concern by the Volunteer Fire Brigades Victoria (VFBV) that existing CFA Motorola listening (Based on the Motorola CP50 from memory) sets in use, along with numerous scanners used by members and the public in rural areas to keep informed would no longer work.

The CFA then secured a budget from the State Govt for a project to be undertaken to make something available for its members.

It was then the EOI/RFT was issued for a capable unit to be available for purchase for Volunteers and associated staff and persons. Technically through Uniden Australia there was a P25 Trunking Scanner available, however I doubt not in the expected numbers required and also lacking P25 Phase II which during the tender process was becoming 'plan for the future' requirement.

So they halted everything and re-issued a new EOI/RFT to include a P25 Phase II requirement in any unit, also behind the scenes the Victorian Govt also instructed that no departments were to purchase more P25 Phase I only radios (like the CFA ones are). Any P25 based purchases made by Govt Depts have to now be capable of Phase II also.

The online streams have pretty much always been part of the plan to help combat the situation of loss of listening ability for some sectors.

I'd be expecting an announcement of a tender winner to be announced soon(ish). If the winner is who I think it will be I'm also hopeful that this could open the way for future public releases of the unit type. I'm allowed to dream! :mrgreen:

BTW Uniden America just announced the BCD996P2. In short a 996T / 996XT unit that can do Phase 2.
http://www.uniden.com/products/productd ... t=BCD996P2
Regards,
Pumper_50

http://vicradiozone.com