Interesting comments re Radio Reference et al

rustynswrail

Interesting comments re Radio Reference et al

Post by rustynswrail » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:33 am

Some interesting comments and opinions regarding Radio Reference. Seems I am not the only one who thinks this way.

http://communications.support/printthre ... 1162&pp=25

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

citabria
Site Admin

Re: Interesting comments re Radio Reference et al

Post by citabria » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:16 pm

The p25.ca/Comms Support forums stoush went on for quiet a while - even to the point where Lindsay Blanton came over to comms support and posted a few comments etc.

RR is most definitely causing police agencies to decide to encrypt and take precautions against scanner users..

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:49 pm

citabria wrote:RR is most definitely causing police agencies to decide to encrypt and take precautions against scanner users..
+ 1

No just police agencies, but many emergency/public services.

Garry

Post by Garry » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:28 pm

"Not just police agencies, but many emergency/public services"

couldn't the same be said about this site here? Some users have already moved across to a digital network, yet we as hobbyist then find new ways to decode the signal then post it on newsgroups. I'm guilty of this, I think we all are

In my opinion, and its only an opinion, that soon these services will discover that we will still hear them and with a click of a mouse will turn on some form of encryption
Happily Scanning Since 1983

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:38 pm

Definitely Garry, certainly wasn't pointing the finger solely at RR.

Where RR is more to blame, as discussed somewhat at that link, is the availability of scanner broadcast feeds. Plenty of other similar sites out there that so the same as well. I think they are more likely a reason services are moving to encryption, more so that the information being posted on forums. Reading a website where someone explains how to program a scanner is likely 'gobbley-gook' to most in emergency services, but hearing themselves over the internet is another thing altogether.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:33 pm

Yep I agree, there is a big difference between somebody that spends a small fortune on scanners, learns how to program them and where to get all the frequency information etc. just so they can listen to LOCAL freqs, compared to anybody with a smart phone being able to click on a URL and listen.

Where the former might be an inconvenience to some agencies, it's not really enough of a problem to warrant spending mega-bucks on encryption, but hearing my comms being broadcast across the internet to any and everybody would certainly get my blood boiling enough to look for alternatives.

cartman

Post by cartman » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:11 pm

Garry wrote:"Not just police agencies, but many emergency/public services"

couldn't the same be said about this site here? Some users have already moved across to a digital network, yet we as hobbyist then find new ways to decode the signal then post it on newsgroups. I'm guilty of this, I think we all are

In my opinion, and its only an opinion, that soon these services will discover that we will still hear them and with a click of a mouse will turn on some form of encryption
Good on them .... they are entitled to do so (encrypt) if they wish
At the end of the day the networks techs have to carry out certain transmission functions successfully for their entities ... not for me to tell them how to do it. Usually $ determines what they do
I am happy to carry out traffic analysis on encrypted signals (as I do now) if that what it ends up as
We are doing nothing illegal ... if anything we are restrained in what we post (given some of the exotic users that have been identified over the years)
What is posted here on the forum is essentially no different to all that information posted in book / magazine form by resourceful scanner folk in previous decades
As for RR I gave up on them several years ago ... useful for articles, opinions and program downloads but thats all.

So yeah I agree ... online broadcasts and online PDW/MDT decodes are the two that are causing the most damage enmasse ... you can say the same for flightradar24.com and marinetraffic.com (which are two great websites for enthusiasts as far as I am concerned).
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:40 am

Hi all,
I must declare an interest here, I host one of those streams to RR mainly to get access to the DB but i also use it while im away. I must admit though the amount of double standards that have gone on with Lindsay and Gordon have simply amazed me over the years. I've complained about duplicate feeds and other crap that have gone on with a reply oh its not the same. How would the idiots know they cant even be bothered to have a audio admin in this part of the world and refuse to.
As i said earlier i have the stream to access the DB, but why should we pay for it, thousands of people volunteer the info however to retrieve it you have to pay 6.95 a month for the privilege. I suspect a few other do the same.
The various services here and abroad have made it very obvious that being able to listen to a bloke getting chased on a smartphone give them the sh!ts no end. They were all aware of my stream and hence have taken steps to make sure only those who need to can listen. Dont think too that the police will be the only ones here that want to encrypt, others are taking steps too and have the radios ready to go.
Cheers
VK2MRC

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:25 pm

Garry wrote:"Not just police agencies, but many emergency/public services"

They didn't move to digital to get away from people listening... get a grip. They move to digital for clarity and the other benefits plus a government mandate to move frequency... hobbyists don't factor in network design considerations.

Will they encrypt? Do you know what is involved in that decision? If only it was a mouse click... it is far far more than that. I suggest that the biggest thing that ticks management off is hobbyists spreading misinformation through ignorance, and the use of information received off air for "inappropriate" purposes. That may ultimately lead to many moving to LTE based systems- at which time you better go and find another hobby.

Cheers

Richard

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:19 pm

ivahri wrote:They didn't move to digital to get away from people listening... get a grip. They move to digital for clarity and the other benefits plus a government mandate to move frequency... hobbyists don't factor in network design considerations.

Will they encrypt? Do you know what is involved in that decision? If only it was a mouse click... it is far far more than that. I suggest that the biggest thing that ticks management off is hobbyists spreading misinformation through ignorance, and the use of information received off air for "inappropriate" purposes. That may ultimately lead to many moving to LTE based systems- at which time you better go and find another hobby.
That may be the technical reason Richard, and most here would be aware of those reasons and agree.

However the public reasons given for encryption is about all about preventing people from listening:
- Article from when the NSWPF went digital encrypted: reason given to prevent people listening (See here)
- Article again when NSWPF went digital encrypted: reason again was security (See here)
- Another similar article when NSWPF went digital encrypted: reason again was to stop people listening (See here)
- Article when NSWPF 'cracked': reason encryption need for security and integrity of comms (See here)

There are hundreds of similar articles, but not one that mentions the reason being for clarity or because of the Gov't mandate.