Motorola Product cancellation

ivahri

Re: Motorola Product cancellation

Post by ivahri » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:10 pm

Have the competition caught up? I'm not so sure about that... What has hurt Motorola is the growth of P25 and more open standards- they had a monopoly for years with Smartzone but those days are long gone. They still are the market leaders when it comes to large first responder grade trunking systems and the terminal equipment that go with them. But Moto have evolved- and anyone thinking they are going to disappear any time soon is quite deluded. They remain the industry gorilla- all of the other players are mere chimps.

techman

Post by techman » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:02 pm

ivahri wrote:Have the competition caught up? I'm not so sure about that... What has hurt Motorola is the growth of P25 and more open standards- they had a monopoly for years with Smartzone but those days are long gone. They still are the market leaders when it comes to large first responder grade trunking systems and the terminal equipment that go with them. But Moto have evolved- and anyone thinking they are going to disappear any time soon is quite deluded. They remain the industry gorilla- all of the other players are mere chimps.
It seems to be an issue with US corporates, they become top heavy, money hungry and before they know it cash reserves are down, they selling assets, sack staff and if it contunes for long enough then someone will buy them out.

An observation from what has occurred with other corporates in the US.

On the standards fron you are correct, corporates and govt are deamanding open solutions which helps level the playing field.
Don't like it, either get over it or retire

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Such as? Techman you make a lot of statements without any evidence... I've had a dig at you before about it.

What US telecommunications (more specifically radio/wireless) corporates have been bought out? Motorola has been around since the 1930s... Harris? EFJ? They haven't been bought out... on the other hand let us look at Yaesu... it has had a few "unfortunate" ownership changes in recent years. Simoco? A UK bastard child spawned from Philips... Tait are stable- primarily because of the ownership structure set up by the late Sir Angus Tait.

Honestly when I see you describe them as "money hungry" I have to roll my eyes. Any company that doesn't make a profit will most likely be bought out. They all live on on healthy margins- they need to in the radio industry because R&D is hideously expensive & life cycles are much longer than mobile phones or IT devices. I would be very wary about dealing with a company that isn't focused on long term survival- which brings us back to the Big M... and looking at when these discontinued models first came out- Moto have been VERY successful. Why do you think the larger state based trunking networks here are Motorola based? I'd suggest RISK is a big reason- they are very low risk of failing.

I think you are just anti-Motorola and trying to spin a story to make it sound rational. Sorry, I think you've failed.

Richard

techman

Post by techman » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:12 pm

ivahri wrote:Such as? Techman you make a lot of statements without any evidence... I've had a dig at you before about it.

What US telecommunications (more specifically radio/wireless) corporates have been bought out? Motorola has been around since the 1930s... Harris? EFJ? They haven't been bought out... on the other hand let us look at Yaesu... it has had a few "unfortunate" ownership changes in recent years. Simoco? A UK bastard child spawned from Philips... Tait are stable- primarily because of the ownership structure set up by the late Sir Angus Tait.

Honestly when I see you describe them as "money hungry" I have to roll my eyes. Any company that doesn't make a profit will most likely be bought out. They all live on on healthy margins- they need to in the radio industry because R&D is hideously expensive & life cycles are much longer than mobile phones or IT devices. I would be very wary about dealing with a company that isn't focused on long term survival- which brings us back to the Big M... and looking at when these discontinued models first came out- Moto have been VERY successful. Why do you think the larger state based trunking networks here are Motorola based? I'd suggest RISK is a big reason- they are very low risk of failing.

I think you are just anti-Motorola and trying to spin a story to make it sound rational. Sorry, I think you've failed.

Richard
Lets get a couple of things stright.

To answer your first statement, Kenwood USA purchased EF Johnston this year! http://urgentcomm.com/efjohnson/kenwood ... chnologies

Personally I do not have an issue with Motorola, I have some of there radio products and installed and maintain thousands of dollars worth of technology for customers. Second, the comment I made way based on what have seen in the past and read which has occurs in the US, Cisco this week announced 6000 job losses profits down etc and they spend a lot on Rnd and funding new startups via Venture capitial means.

Comments made about Motorola are fact, they have layed off staff here in US and odd are here in Australia, cutting costs (product cancellations etc help here), selling a number of pieces of symbol technology purchase to Zebra and selling realestate assets in the US. They also sold off there mobility solution to Google in 2011 From what I can see they have sold
billions in assets in recient years and still struggling. Will this mean they are dead in the water, time will tell but one hopes not.

US Govt narrowing banding work is almost run it course in the US which was a good revenue earner for them.

Here is some of the factual links
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014 ... e-business
http://newsroom.motorolasolutions.com/P ... -4a80.aspx

the comment 'Money hungry' ok a harsh term, let me charify to save you the confusion, it was made in the context of management/directors/ceo's of companys - they drive direction, decissions and long term stragity, there decissions can make or break companys regardless of now big or small they are and Motorola is no exception.

Motorola has been here for a long time and have put a lot of technology out and for the sake of the investments people/company/govt have made they continue but comments raised earlier in the thread valid and clients I works with see the same and evulate there options.

'Sorry, I think you've failed' - you are entitled to your view and I have mine - it an forum for discussion.

Adrian
Don't like it, either get over it or retire

news

Post by news » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:46 am

techman wrote:Comments made about Motorola are fact, they have layed off staff here in US and odd are here in Australia, cutting costs (product cancellations etc help here
FYI; what "odd are here" staff has Moto Australia layed off relating to radio in the past 5 years ?. It also continues to service and flat rate repair product ranges LONG past other countries and its competitors.