East Coast Radio and Scanning put to bed.

Longreach

East Coast Radio and Scanning put to bed.

Post by Longreach » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi all,

Just letting you all know that the above forum has been shut down. Lastely there has been a lack of interest in it and most of the info was fairly old.

Ive also had to make a a few changes and have run out of time to maintain it. I just preferred to put it to sleep.

Thanks to all who contributed over the years, You know who you are.

Cheers and Thanks
Matt
VK2MRC

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: East Coast Radio and Scanning put to bed.

Post by Bigfella237 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Another sad day for the hobby...

Thanks for all your time/money/effort over the years Matt, ECR was always a great source of local info and it will be missed!

Andrew

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:20 am

Longreach wrote:Just letting you all know that the above forum has been shut down. Lastely there has been a lack of interest in it and most of the info was fairly old.
It's a pity some decent warning couldn't have been given prior to the shut down. I logged onto the ECRS site only late last week and I don't recall seeing any notification this would be occurring. There was some great information on the site which had now been lost.

Most of the scanning and radio related forums are not run to make a profit or to advertise products - they are run to provide support to the scanning community in general and contributors generally openly provide information on this basis to assist others in the hobby. It's unfortunate that these sites shut down without giving the people who make the sites what they are (the members!) the opportunity to back up the information that have provided or to allow others in the community to review and record/save the hard work of others, or without providing members with information on alternative forums that they could join.

I understand running these sites is time consuming and often involves the outlay of some money, and it is the decision of the owners/moderators of each site as to when they decide to shut down. It's just a shame sufficient notice could not have been provided.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:42 pm

G'day Scotty,

I'm sure you can understand Matt's decision to close the forum but if you've been reading over there you can't really say it's too much of a surprise, it was going to close back around new years and there's been very little going on new-post-wise since?

Matt gave plenty of warning back then, enough in fact to be talked out of it! But there's only so long you can keep flogging a dead horse?

I (and others I'm sure) made copies of whatever info/lists/etc. that were of value at the time, and a lot of the info is still on the GoulburnScan website (which is linked in Matt's signature), and he has even started posting some of that information on this forum, but if there's anything in particular you're after I'm sure it could be posted here by request?

Andrew

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:14 pm

Andrew, mate I agree with almost everything you say - and I'm not having a specific go at Matt, he provides plenty of fantastic information on this forum.

But my gripe (for use of a better word I guess) is that a forum, unlike a normal website, is only made what it is by it's members, many of whom (just like the forum admin) invest substantial time and effort in providing information and discussing topics. The members are the people that essentially make a forum what it is, just as much as the admin, so it wouldn't have taken much to give the people that made the forum what it was warning or confirmation that the plug was being pulled.

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi all,

Scotty I apologise for not giving more notice re the closure. I just couldnt bear to see it the way it was anymore with little to no activity. I'd look in nearly everyday and just see the last post i gave just over a fortnight ago and see nothing. I tried a somewhat revival when i went to close earlier this year to not much avail. at the end mate i agonised over the decision to keep it going or just put it to bed and just decided yesterday i couldnt keep it going.
I agree Scott the members make up and contribute to make a forum some more so than others but we all try to where we can.
I did save some key stuff from there but there wasnt much really to save, most stuff was outdated by GRN and PMR changes over the years, The forum was about 6 years old afterall.
For the record too i also canned one of my streams too due to lack of interest, was also sick of keeping it on life support and tying up a $500 scanner where i could use it for other purposes.
Im also re assessing other things im associated with, The original audio stream and website are safe.
Cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Fri May 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Scotty.
a forum is a place where people go to chat basically and discuss things of interest. Same thing happens in Cafe's, restaurants and public places all over the world. If you are told to be quiet and leave, what do you do?
You go somewhere else and chat.

Simple as that.

Thanks Longreach for your efforts. I know how hard and sometimes unappreciated work it is.

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Fri May 10, 2013 6:54 pm

no worries
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Sun May 12, 2013 9:56 am

I would like to thank Matt for his work on the forum for the last 6 years.
It is sad to see it go but I completely understand the decision.
Mark