PDW Paging Decoder Software now Open Source!

matthewn1983

PDW Paging Decoder Software now Open Source!

Post by matthewn1983 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Its been in the news for about a week now, but for those interested -

"It has been decided recently to make PDW available as open source software. This enables others e.g. to enhance the functionality, or to develop a Linux version."

https://github.com/Discriminator/PDW
http://www.discriminator.nl/pdw/index-en.html

Should be interesting to see what comes out in the next few months from users, some fresh ideas, some new options. Personally i'd like to see RSS/Twitter option, to make it easier to view via iPhone or other smart phone. In saying that, the html option was removed some versions ago due to it causing problems with the publishing of paging data to the internet.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: PDW Paging Decoder Software now Open Source!

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:50 pm

The removal of html/ftp always annoyed me, it didn't stop anyone from uploading to a website, it just meant you were stuck with V2.16 and couldn't take advantage of the features in later versions! ;)

I'm all for being able to stream to your own website for personal use, but I don't necessarily agree with streaming data all over the world to anybody who owns a smart-phone, that is slowly but surely killing the hobby in my opinion... but that's a whole other discussion.

Andrew

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Indeed, similar to the 3000 odd feeds currently on-line at the moment, only encourages agencies to encrypt if they haven't already. But with the way mobile phone technology and LTE are heading, who knows. The old conventional scanner might be just a paper weight in a decades time. With GRE almost out of the game now, leaves only Uniden being the only player in the scene, along with Icom and Alinco (who's focus is on Commercial and Amateur Radio), things don't look too good.

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Fri May 10, 2013 12:09 pm

shame this comes pretty much at a time now where paging data is pretty much dead.