ACMA Vehicle

Scotty

ACMA Vehicle

Post by Scotty » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:04 am

Travelling on the Hume Hwy yesterday (05/04/12) near Ashfield in the afternoon I was stopped at a set of lights next to a white Holden wagon with the 'ACMA' logo on the door.

There a number of antennas on the roof which appeared to be arranged in a fashion for signal direction finding, along with antennas for GPS, mobile phone/data and a UHF sized antenna. I couldn't see what was inside.

I haven't seen one of these vehicles previously. Does anybody know how many there are out and about or what their main function is?

matthewn1983

Re: ACMA Vehicle

Post by matthewn1983 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:05 pm

looking for Nick Harris...

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:00 am

A mate of mine got these pics of the ACMA car running around Mt Annan a few years ago. The tech was quite happy to chat and told him they were searching for a source of RF interference to TVs in the area at the time.

Mike

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:14 pm

When was that Mike?

I haven't seen the red "Z" federal number plates in years and years!

balint256

Post by balint256 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Why get ACMA to do it when you can build your own! :)

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:27 pm

citabria wrote:When was that Mike?

The properties of the photos say September 2009. I posted these up on a previous forum at the time. Yep, Z number plates are quite rare but I did see one near the state parliament building last month.

Mike

cartman

Post by cartman » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 pm

I am hearing from one good source that the Highway Patrol people in the near future will be trained in the policing of CB radio gear eg legal 5w equipment and locating troublemakers, in conjunction with the ACMA
That is the rationale last year for making all police officers to be regarded as "radio inspectors" as for the purposes of the amended act
As we all know there is a large number of CB radios out there pumping more than 5w, so it is an area of rich pickings, so to speak
Apparently there are blitzes already occuring in other states

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:14 pm

Mike Alpha wrote:A mate of mine got these pics of the ACMA car running around Mt Annan a few years ago. The tech was quite happy to chat and told him they were searching for a source of RF interference to TVs in the area at the time.

Mike
Yep, that is a similar car to what I saw. Different roof set up now though, had a false roof mounted to some roof racks and all thè antennas were mounted on that. Don't remember if it still had the 'Z' plates or not.

Sigint

Post by Sigint » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:26 pm

citabria wrote:When was that Mike?

Not too sure it is a Federal number plate.

Even though it has a red "Z", the plate is yellow, and the text across the bottom, seems to say "New South Wales".

--
Sigint

WiLDRAGoN

Post by WiLDRAGoN » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:35 pm

cartman wrote:I am hearing from one good source that the Highway Patrol people in the near future will be trained in the policing of CB radio gear eg legal 5w equipment and locating troublemakers, in conjunction with the ACMA
That is the rationale last year for making all police officers to be regarded as "radio inspectors" as for the purposes of the amended act
As we all know there is a large number of CB radios out there pumping more than 5w, so it is an area of rich pickings, so to speak
Apparently there are blitzes already occuring in other states
Grant
Maybe that's why Nick Harris has gone missing recently.