NSW Police now have powers under Radiocommunications Act

Scotty

NSW Police now have powers under Radiocommunications Act

Post by Scotty » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:27 pm

Noticed that all NSW Police officers (and most other State police officers) now have authority under the Radiocommunications Act 1992, not just officers appointed as 'inspectors'. I always thought the police had this power, but obviously not.

May mean a more pro-active approach to dealing with licencing issues, but I wouldn't think it would make much difference.

Info at the link below:
http://152.91.15.12/portal/govgazonline ... GN%203.pdf

ivahri

Re: NSW Police now have powers under Radiocommunications Act

Post by ivahri » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Scotty,

The way I read this is that they had the powers before but this is a redrafting of the authority. I haven't kept up with this over the years but back in the 80s (and before) they had the power.

I've not known state officers use their powers since the Breaker 19 period of 27MHz...

Cheers,

Richard

Scotty

Re: NSW Police now have powers under Radiocommunications Act

Post by Scotty » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:42 pm

ivahri wrote:Scotty,

The way I read this is that they had the powers before but this is a redrafting of the authority. I haven't kept up with this over the years but back in the 80s (and before) they had the power.

I've not known state officers use their powers since the Breaker 19 period of 27MHz...

Cheers,

Richard
I think you'll find previously the authority was granted only to specific officers of/above a certain rank. I think In NSW it was the rank of inspector or above? Anyway, the authority is now granted to all police.

As i said, I don't think it will mean any further investigations, just thought it was an interesting update.