80 channel allocation

scanSydney
Site Admin

80 channel allocation

Post by scanSydney » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:19 am

Ref: http://www.uhfcb.com.au/80-Channel-UHF-Information.php

Once this comes in, I assume I'm going to have to replace my UH015-SX with a newer radio capable of supporting the new channels?

I'm probably assuming Uniden would not take back the radio for a reprogram...

Interesting changes though.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: 80 channel allocation

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:25 am

Yeah, discussion on this subject has been going on over on the Icom IC-400PRO forum for ages, thankfully the Icom's are programmable and will be easy to update when the extra channels get added to the class licence, as for other brands, I very much doubt the manufacturers will do anything but offer to sell you a new radio?

One thing it doesn't mention on the page your link points to, even though it should be apparent to most, is that channels 1-40 will remain at 25kHz spacing and channels 41-80 will be 12.5kHz spacing.

Andrew

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:34 am

Unless the radio is a super-duper DSP type (and I'm sure its not) it would be more than just a channel reprogramme, the radio would need narrow band IF filters for the rx and reduced deviation on tx. All channels will eventually be narrow ie 2.5 kHz deviation, from what I can work out. A radio with 5 kHz deviation will interfere with a radio only 12.5 khz away.

There will be a long change over period and you will need a new radio eventually, well in theory anyway. In this modern era of full cost recovery, you can guage the amount of attention ACMA will give to the issue by the amount of CB Licence fees they collect! (There are no licences / fees).

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:57 am

That's where I think they went wrong by leaving the old 25kHz channels in the mix, if the new profile was narrow band only then the old channels would have died a natural death in say ten years or so and could've been outlawed without too much resistance?

The way they've handled the whole thing means it's going to be a lot longer now until we can get rid of the old channels altogether?
system_tech wrote: ~ A radio with 5 kHz deviation will interfere with a radio only 12.5 khz away. ~
A radio with 5kHz dev and a channel spacing of only 12.5kHz, you bet it will interfere, this will especially be a problem with some of the cheap chinese crap that passes for UHF CBs out there now!

Andrew

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:30 pm

scanSydney wrote:Once this comes in, I assume I'm going to have to replace my UH015-SX with a newer radio capable of supporting the new channels?
The UH015-SX - unfortunately, yes. However, from my reading and personal correspondence with manufacturers:

- All Unidens will need to be replaced.

- GME radios from the TX 3340 and TX 3100 upwards will be able to be returned to GME and be upgraded by something similar to a 're-flash'. No new hardware necessary, but no cost advised yet by GME.

- The Icom IC400PRO can be reprogrammed, but the IC440 (hand mic version) is still up in the air. Icom say 'technically possible', but may require new hardware, which would not make it feasible.
system_tech wrote:There will be a long change over period and you will need a new radio eventually, well in theory anyway.
ACMA have said 5 years, but there will be plenty of 40 channel sets around after that. I know some people that still use 18 channel 'AM' sets! I think most users will use the theory that "if it ain't broke, why replace it".
Bigfella237 wrote:One thing it doesn't mention on the page your link points to, even though it should be apparent to most, is that channels 1-40 will remain at 25kHz spacing and channels 41-80 will be 12.5kHz spacing.
I'm pretty certain the final paper states all other channels, including 1-40, will be 12.5kHz. There will be a 'phase in' period for repeaters, that can remain at 25kHz for some time, not sure how long though. Will be a complete balls-up for many, many years I think until 12.5kHz equipment become standard.

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:57 pm

i wonder if 25 Watts and digital modes are allowed too?
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:39 pm

Does this mean another 8 repeaters? Does this mean another 8 channels for the morons to ratbag on?

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:13 pm

Longreach wrote:i wonder if 25 Watts and digital modes are allowed too?
cheers
Matt
No, that was another thing that annoyed me, no digital... and the class licence will still restrict users to 5W or less.
soupbones wrote:Does this mean another 8 repeaters? Does this mean another 8 channels for the morons to ratbag on?
Yep, but I thought I read somewhere that they wouldn't be issuing licences for the new repeater allocations for a little while?

Andrew

BerryV

Post by BerryV » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:37 pm

scanSydney wrote:Ref: http://www.uhfcb.com.au/80-Channel-UHF-Information.php

Once this comes in, I assume I'm going to have to replace my UH015-SX with a newer radio capable of supporting the new channels?

I'm probably assuming Uniden would not take back the radio for a reprogram...

Interesting changes though.
you seem like a nice guy running the site for us. Ive got some spare "real" radios kicking around, maybe I can help you out

Having to use a uniden must be real depressing. I had one once, I used it to lean against the garage door to stop it blowing in the wind :) haha

lxth7

Post by lxth7 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:44 pm

I thought the A B arangement is going ahead, not the 1-80, isnt it?
Id prefer a b , but I can see why 1234-80 would be good for radios with no text display.