pks

Re: DickSmith DTS-96 - Software Now Available

Post by pks » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:46 am

I hook up the cable to the DTS96 and screen display shows:

*CLONE MODE*
UP to send,
Remove Cable
to Exit

In ARC96, I click Send, tick DTS96 model, click Start Upload.
DTS96 now shows:

V-Scanner
PC/IF Port
***IN USE***
CLR to EXIT

After a few seconds, ARC96 shows "Upload is complete, please remove cable from scanner." and DTS96 now shows:

V-Scanner
PC/IF Port
Remote Access
CLR to EXIT

I remove cable and DTS96 reboots. DTS96 remains unprogrammed. Am I doing something wrong? Dodgy cable perhaps? Works fine with pro96com though...

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Ok, check this out for me.
In ARC96, in the menu up the top, click SETUP then CONFIGURATION. This will open up a window in the main working area. Make sure the tick box on the lower right hand side for DTS96 model is ticked for your file. If not tick it and hit the save button to save the file. Now try loading it.

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:16 pm

If you are not seeing the progress bar in the scanner's LCD display, then it's not uploading. Check you are using the right USB/comport. The software will not indicate a comport error, it will show the progress bar on your PC increasing even though it is not actually communicating with the scanner.

Mike

pks

Post by pks » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:37 pm

soupbones wrote:Ok, check this out for me.
In ARC96, in the menu up the top, click SETUP then CONFIGURATION. This will open up a window in the main working area. Make sure the tick box on the lower right hand side for DTS96 model is ticked for your file. If not tick it and hit the save button to save the file. Now try loading it.
I have ticked that already. Otherwise, the DTS96 will display "Incorrect Model" when I try to send.
Mike Alpha wrote:If you are not seeing the progress bar in the scanner's LCD display, then it's not uploading. Check you are using the right USB/comport. The software will not indicate a comport error, it will show the progress bar on your PC increasing even though it is not actually communicating with the scanner.

Mike
I'm pretty sure I selected the right USB/comport. I used the same port for pro96com and works fine.

pks

Post by pks » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:24 pm

Are you guys using USB or Serial cable?

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:25 pm

I use USB to serial converter.... They don't tend to put serials on many computers these days. If only scanner makers would twig onto this fact.

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:27 pm

Check your serial port settings. If it works ok for Pro96com but not for AC96, then it may be a data flow issue, as Pro96com allows output fro the scanner, and not input, and now your having issues with data input. Maybe a driver issue?

pks

Post by pks » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm using a USB cable I got from eBay which runs on the Prolific USB to Serial driver. Tried updating driver but didn't help. Might try source another cable and see... Hmm...

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Try turning scanner off first, then plugging in, then turn on, then send file...

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:40 pm

I have the USB->Serial+Serial->PC/IF for the 96. I had issues at first with the USB connection, which was down to driver issue, i had a spare rackmount server that had serial port, and the Serial->PC/IF worked 100%. Just recently i attmepted the USB->Serial+Serial->PC/IF on my netbook, running Win7Enterprise. Win7 auto downloaded some drivers for it, and now that works fine. If you want i can see if i get the driver details that the netbook as and paste them here and you can attempt to get it running with those. I think i had a similar problem (reading above) with ghost uploads, but when i get a spare 5 mins, ill hook mine up and have a look.

further to post...
re-uploading profile into scanner using netbook and above cable setup, usually i use the rackmount server and serial port only, not the usb to serial converter as well as the cable. When selecting DTS96, scanner will give error of Incorrect Model, not sure if it does this when serial is plugged in on other machine, but at the moment, its extremely slow in uploading data to scanner so ill leave it for now and let you know in the morning.