Homepatrol Extreme 2

rustynswrail

Homepatrol Extreme 2

Post by rustynswrail » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:05 pm

Part 2 of the questions and answers. This time for those who don't own one.

1. Are you contemplating the purchase (importation) of a Homepatrol any time soon?

2. If the HP1 was introduced to Australia, would you be happy to 'go it alone' re database updates, or would you like to see a pay as you go downloadable database, as per Radio Reference? Remembering that you supply information for free to RR then have to buy it back.

3. Have you researched the Homepatrol?

4. Do you think the HP is an easy, moderately difficult or difficult scanner to use, based on your research?

Thanks

Russell
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

matthewn1983

Re: Homepatrol Extreme 2

Post by matthewn1983 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Thought i'd reply to this as I was in this situation only 2 weeks ago when deciding on a new toy. I was considering at the time to get the GRE PSR-800 over the Uniden HP-1. I actually decided to go with the 500, as there was a heap of feedback and support/updates on both the manufacturer site

1) I was thinking about it in the last few weeks, due to not much feedback on forums re this product in Australia i decided not to.

2) I'd be more likely to go it alone (database update), as most of the information can be found on forums and own research, I wouldn't pay for a downloadable database, as the information is mostly old and out-dated, and forums and contacts between users are the most reliable source of information.

3) Ive followed some US users via Youtube and a few forum threads on various sites, unit is indeed different to conventional scanners but as technology moves forward, i guess so does scanning methods.

4) Seems easy to use, like any scanner and at the moment im learning the GRE PSR500 and how different it is to other scanners, ive played with Uniden 996's as well, each have their own pros and cons, I suppose it just comes down to what you want it for.

Overall, if Uniden were to provide constant updates and support then maybe I'd consider, the 396/996 turned me away in Australia as many users were complaining of little or no support, and no updates, and if they offer some ridiculous price like what the 396 and 996's were then no. I think the other thing that hurts the scanner market at the moment, is the fact that TRBO and NXDN and various other systems unable to be monitored, as well as in the US at the moment they are talking about TDMA and P25 Phase 2 being implemented on many systems and scanners not capable of working with these systems both hardware and software wise.

Matt

edit:just further to above, this was from RR forum - gre response to P25 PhII
At this time we don't know if the PSR-800 will be able to decode true P25 Phase II voice or not. We won't really know for certain until a true Phase II system is on the air and we are able to determine exactly what will be needed to decode the signal.

Best Regards,
GRE Support Team
Last edited by matthewn1983 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:04 pm

matthewn1983 wrote:Thought i'd reply to this as I was in this situation only 2 weeks ago when deciding on a new toy. I was considering at the time to get the GRE PSR-800 over the Uniden HP-1. I actually decided to go with the 500, as there was a heap of feedback and support/updates on both the manufacturer site

1) I was thinking about it in the last few weeks, due to not much feedback on forums re this product in Australia i decided not to.

2) I'd be more likely to go it alone (database update), as most of the information can be found on forums and own research, I wouldn't pay for a downloadable database, as the information is mostly old and out-dated, and forums and contacts between users are the most reliable source of information.

3) Ive followed some US users via Youtube and a few forum threads on various sites, unit is indeed different to conventional scanners but as technology moves forward, i guess so does scanning methods.

4) Seems easy to use, like any scanner and at the moment im learning the GRE PSR500 and how different it is to other scanners, ive played with Uniden 996's as well, each have their own pros and cons, I suppose it just comes down to what you want it for.

Overall, if Uniden were to provide constant updates and support then maybe I'd consider, the 396/996 turned me away in Australia as many users were complaining of little or no support, and no updates, and if they offer some ridiculous price like what the 396 and 996's were then no. I think the other thing that hurts the scanner market at the moment, is the fact that TRBO and NXDN and various other systems unable to be monitored, as well as in the US at the moment they are talking about TDMA and P25 Phase 2 being implemented on many systems and scanners not capable of working with these systems both hardware and software wise.

Matt
Matt,

You feedback is appreciated.

Russell

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:35 pm

rustynswrail wrote:1. Are you contemplating the purchase (importation) of a Homepatrol any time soon?
I'm considering an importing a new scanner soon, but more likely a 996XT or 396XT.
rustynswrail wrote:2. If the HP1 was introduced to Australia, would you be happy to 'go it alone' re database updates, or would you like to see a pay as you go downloadable database, as per Radio Reference? Remembering that you supply information for free to RR then have to buy it back.
Definately go it alone. RR is well and truely out of date, especially when compared to scanning forums and websites. I also prefer to organise the scanner in a way that suits me - something you couldn't do with the info from RR.
rustynswrail wrote:3. Have you researched the Homepatrol?
Yes.
rustynswrail wrote:4. Do you think the HP is an easy, moderately difficult or difficult scanner to use, based on your research?
Both. Its easy for 'newbies' as you have the ability to punch in a postcode (in the US) and get everything straightaway. However it appears more difficult for 'seasoned' scanner users who know exactly how they want theor channels/talkgroups programmed.

I know in the past Russel you've mentioned you have some association with Uniden. If indeed feelers are being put out there, I would MUCH prefer something in the form of the 996XT/396XT in Australia then something similar to the HomePatrol - it's less reliant on RR and more suited to Aussie scanning conditions. Bt I won't hold my breath for either!

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:45 pm

As with GRE as well, to get a decent scanner to suit current conditions, you have to import one, and they are programmed for the US, which makes scanning 800mhz trunking a little difficult as well as the 500 not being able to do 70mhz.

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:07 pm

Scotty wrote:1. Are you contemplating the purchase (importation) of a Homepatrol any time soon?
I'm considering an importing a new scanner soon, but more likely a 996XT or 396XT.

2. If the HP1 was introduced to Australia, would you be happy to 'go it alone' re database updates, or would you like to see a pay as you go downloadable database, as per Radio Reference? Remembering that you supply information for free to RR then have to buy it back.
Definately go it alone. RR is well and truely out of date, especially when compared to scanning forums and websites. I also prefer to organise the scanner in a way that suits me - something you couldn't do with the info from RR.

3. Have you researched the Homepatrol?
Yes.

4. Do you think the HP is an easy, moderately difficult or difficult scanner to use, based on your research?
Both. Its easy for 'newbies' as you have the ability to punch in a postcode (in the US) and get everything straightaway. However it appears more difficult for 'seasoned' scanner users who know exactly how they want theor channels/talkgroups programmed.

I know in the past Russel you've mentioned you have some association with Uniden. If indeed feelers are being put out there, I would MUCH prefer something in the form of the 996XT/396XT in Australia then something similar to the HomePatrol - it's less reliant on RR and more suited to Aussie scanning conditions. Bt I won't hold my breath for either!

Scott,

Ditto, your response is welcomed.

Russell

Wonky

Post by Wonky » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:23 pm

rustynswrail wrote:Part 2 of the questions and answers. This time for those who don't own one.

1. Are you contemplating the purchase (importation) of a Homepatrol any time soon?
Yes, before the end of the year.
rustynswrail wrote:2. If the HP1 was introduced to Australia, would you be happy to 'go it alone' re database updates, or would you like to see a pay as you go downloadable database, as per Radio Reference? Remembering that you supply information for free to RR then have to buy it back.
Definately go it alone. I hope for the sake of new / beginner scanner users that uniden do not reply upon the RR database for Australian users. I think they would be better of to do what they did with the 396/996, have the basic generic preprogrammed search options, then have the GRN, MMR SAGRN default files in search mode so a new user could unlock the system and immediately start monitoring.
rustynswrail wrote:3. Have you researched the Homepatrol?
Yes, particularly since the release of the extreme update functions.
rustynswrail wrote:4. Do you think the HP is an easy, moderately difficult or difficult scanner to use, based on your research?
Moderate.

E=MC2

Post by E=MC2 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:05 pm

Gday Russell, I am thinking along the same lines as Wonky. I have been thinking about the 996XT or the Home Patrol, I now own 2 x 396t'z and I should have bought a 996T not a 2nd 396T as it has just sat in the box. I love the GPS input setup on both of these units it 996 and the HP. Well thats it for now have a great week. Richard E=mc2

Air490

Post by Air490 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:49 pm

Hello Russell,

I had one but sold it a while back. It was easy enough to use, as long as you are computer literate! Receiver performance was very, very good. I programmed it up myself, which is what I would do if I bought another one. I have been thinking about buying another one, mainly due to the Extreme upgrade features. I made use of it for both GRN and V/UHF airband monitoring. I sold it and bought a GRE PSR-800, mainly due to the GRE's being better GRN receivers.
That's just my little bit of input...

Troy

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:52 pm

To all those you have replied, thank you.

Your responses are being passed on to those you make the decisions.

Russell