396T Dodgy PC Connector Socket

frankc

396T Dodgy PC Connector Socket

Post by frankc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:33 am

Have any 396T owners exerienced this problem with the mini connector on the Scanner when plugging in the cable which results with the Scanner not being able to send/read data to the software ??

I've since been playing around with the cable and it seems when you plug it into the scanner the cable moves around and even after you reset the cable to work by turning the scanner off and on again and connecting to the software - even moving the scanner slightly causes the connecter to move in the socket and losing the connection and when wriggling it you can hear it through the speaker which is connected to my PC via the audio cable.

Any soultions, short of sending it to Uniden for repair ??

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: 396T Dodgy PC Connector Socket

Post by Bigfella237 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Yeah that is a fairly common problem over on the 396 Yahoo(!) groups, connecting and disconnecting the cable any more than just every now and then loosens the socket where it's soldered onto the PCB, I believe it's a reasonably simple fix if you're handy with a soldering iron but otherwise I'd be sending it back to Uniden?

Andrew

frankc

Re: 396T Dodgy PC Connector Socket

Post by frankc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:14 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:Yeah that is a fairly common problem over on the 396 Yahoo(!) groups, connecting and disconnecting the cable any more than just every now and then loosens the socket where it's soldered onto the PCB, I believe it's a reasonably simple fix if you're handy with a soldering iron but otherwise I'd be sending it back to Uniden?

Andrew

THanks for that - will get my Brother in Law's Tech friend to perform surgery on it when comes out to help me to raise and recable my Discone.