No More Uniden Digital Scanners

Scotty

Re: No More Uniden Digital Scanners

Post by Scotty » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:01 am

JAFO wrote:I don't know, still inclined to go for one of the U.S. models, at lest Uniden America seem to provide some kind of after sales development support/service, Oz Uniden provide fuck all
This is the big point that turns me off Uniden Australia. I don't mind paying a little bit more for the scanner if it has been slightly modified for oz conditions, but only if firmware updates are available for the product.

Take the 396T. Uniden US last released a firmware update in June 2011 - yep, this year. When was the last Uniden OZ update? Maybe 2005 - 6 years ago? Pathetic. And the 996T is in the same boat as well.

At the end of the day, having a scanner with oz band plans is nice, but if there is no on going support to correct/improve firmware then it seems a better option to import a US one, pay less and get more. Take heed Uniden Australia :)

cartman

Post by cartman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:46 am

I don't know about you guys but i am just about scannered out ..... i have a couple of 780s plus 396, 796, 250, 246 and a gre 500.
Why do i want to buy another scanner when the others still work ok
Unless it decodes TRBO or NXDN i am basically not interested in acquiring more toys

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:57 am

cartman wrote:Why do i want to buy another scanner when the others still work ok
Unless it decodes TRBO or NXDN i am basically not interested in acquiring more toys

Grant
You make a damn good point Grant! Most people who would want a 396XT, most of which would need one for the digital GRN, have already imported one or are using another make/model that still works.

I'm in a similar position to you, having far more scanners than I realistically need. My next purchase would likely be a scanner that can decode those new digital forms, but it is anyone's guess if anything like that will ever be manufactured.

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:17 pm

citabria wrote:Wow, half what the original 396 cost when it came out! Rusty - is the RF performance of the new 396 comparable to, say a 996? The original 396T was terrible..
To compare the XT with the T, it is no contest. The XT is a far superior unit, both in features and performance.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:22 pm

cartman wrote:I don't know about you guys but i am just about scannered out ..... i have a couple of 780s plus 396, 796, 250, 246 and a gre 500.
Why do i want to buy another scanner when the others still work ok Unless it decodes TRBO or NXDN i am basically not interested in acquiring more toys
Grant
It maybe a while before a scanner that can decode TRBO and NXDN appears. The preliminary work has been done, but because the licence holder of the respective system, (yes they are open protocols, but companies hold patents and issue licences for both systems) is prepared to issue a licence for scanner use, the whole project has ground to a halt. No one can say when it is likely to happen, it could be next week, next year or worse still - never.

R

Sigint

Post by Sigint » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:32 pm

Scotty wrote: . . . . but only if firmware updates are available for the product.

Take the 396T. Uniden US last released a firmware update in June 2011 - yep, this year. When was the last Uniden OZ update? Maybe 2005 - 6 years ago? Pathetic. And the 996T is in the same boat as well.
Software updates are released to fix known problems, or shortcomings, and most of the US updates were to fix US specific problems, and had no relevance to Australia.

What problems do you know about, with the Australian models, that would warrant a software update, and have you contacted Uniden Australia about them.

Businesses don't issue software updates just because the customers reckon there should be one.

--
Sigint

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:42 pm

Sigint wrote:
Scotty wrote: . . . . but only if firmware updates are available for the product.

Software updates are released to fix known problems, or shortcomings, and most of the US updates were to fix US specific problems, and had no relevance to Australia. What problems do you know about, with the Australian models, that would warrant a software update, and have you contacted Uniden Australia about them. Businesses don't issue software updates just because the customers reckon there should be one. -- Sigint
Thank you, the very point I was going to make. Most, but not all, firmware updates issued in the US were to do with rebanding of the trunking networks to the low 800 and 700 MHz. Something that did not occur here. Also to the best of Unidens knowledge, there were no issues with any trunking scanner released here, with one or two or three minor exceptions. One that springs to mind, was the UBC245XLT, that would not trunk VHF, when it was first released. A firmware fix was released within a week or so, problem fixed. There may have been a couple of others, I just don't remember them.

R

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:21 pm

Agree with Grant,as more & more companies go to new digital technologies there's becoming less we are capable of listening to.Unless scanner manufacturers stay up with the new technologies our old technolgy scanners will become worthless.
If the big radio manufacturers are selling their radios to customers claiming total privacy (cannot be listened to on a scanner) then do you think their going to let the Scanner manufacturers sell radios that will decode their systems?

John.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:21 pm

Sigint wrote:Software updates are released to fix known problems, or shortcomings, and most of the US updates were to fix US specific problems, and had no relevance to Australia.

What problems do you know about, with the Australian models, that would warrant a software update, and have you contacted Uniden Australia about them.

Businesses don't issue software updates just because the customers reckon there should be one.

--
Sigint
I agree, and maybe 'pathetic' was a little strong, but there have been several beneficial firmware updates to the US models which would have benefited the AU models, but were never implemented. Specifically the further updates made in relation to decoding P25 and digital noise reduction on both conventional and trunked systems, and the changes made in relation to trunk hold times. From accounts given by US users these changes made significant differences to the audio quality of P25 transmissions - something a number of people on here have mentioned as a downside of the AU model.

In regards to contacting Uniden about updates - I personally sent them emails regarding the updates over a number of years (only one of which was responded to) and spoke to one of the techs in person around 2007 at the Rockdale service centre when I had to put another model in for service. I know I'm not the only one who has had contact with them about updates as well.

Chrisco

Post by Chrisco » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:30 am

The Uniden Australia FB page has posted "1 Month to Go - Australian Launch Date - Digital Scaner - UBCD396XT" the specs you can view here
Uniden UBCD996T x3 | UBCT-9 | UBCD396T | UBC61XLT | UM423AM | MC2800 | UBC60XLT | ICOM IC-41s/w | IC-M34 | USDS100 | SDR |IC-400PRO
twitter/IG