Sentinel Software Save Issues

JAFO

Sentinel Software Save Issues

Post by JAFO » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:38 pm

Ok,

I'm finding saving data with the Sentinel Software somewhat problematic, just wondering if I'm not the only person experiencing the same 'System' or 'PlugCode' Save Issues?

in that . . . Sentinel will not allow me to save multiable Files/PlugCode's made up for the UBCD536PT.

I originally tried to save the original memory card data for the CFA as 'CFA Original' . . . it shows in the save folder.

I then did up my own systems based on GPS Scanning for NSW, the GRN, FRNSW & ASNSW PMR Networks and tried to save it as PlugCode Oct 20v.1 etc

The Sentinel Software will not allow me to select and load-up the 'CFA Original' PlugCode and it's data, only the data save during Sentinel's last use
is loaded up.

Over the past 3 days I had entered some 100 sites with GPS Data of sites for the GRN, FRNSW, ASNSW, RFS and VRA PMR sites, saved all the Data as PugCode Oct 20 v1.5, today I connected the 536PT, uploaded the data off the scanner, and Sentinel saved over all the data I have entered since last connecting the Scanner, I then tried to open the PugCode Oct 20 v1.5, to download the data I had entered onto Sentinel over the 3 days, but Sentinel had wiped the saved data with the data just uploaded from the Scanner.

Is this an issue other have experienced?

And from what I am reading, you can not connect up the UBCD536PT with the USB/Mini USB Cable to ProScan, you can only connect the UBCD536PT' to ProScan via the 536PT rear Serial Port after following the process listed under the "Proscan Software and UBCD536PT: Solution" page as shown . . . is this Correct?

My 536PT is Permanently Mounted in the Car's Dash, and connected to a GPS, so the Mini USB on the 536PT Face is the only PC Connection I have atm.

Grant
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

Wonky

Re: Sentinel Software Save Issues

Post by Wonky » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:28 pm

I can assist with a couple of those questions.

You are correct, you cannot connect to the front usb when using Proscan (Proscan will connect via the rear port only).

To use the front port (especially for your setup) for programming, you will need to use Sentinel.

I might leave the saving issue for someone with a bit more experience in that area...any Sentinel guru's??

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:32 am

In Sentinel go to EDIT, then EDIT PROFILE. In the SCAN SELECTION tab make sure all are marked as ON in the MONITOR and DOWNLOAD columns. If they are not it can be done by highlighting the affected FL then clicking ON in MONITOR and DOWNLOAD at the top of the columns just above the FAVOURITES. If they are OFF, Sentinel will not load it into the scanner but is will be saved in the codeplug (the correct term) and you cannot scan it.

Let me know how you go.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:26 pm

rustynswrail wrote:In Sentinel go to EDIT, then EDIT PROFILE. In the SCAN SELECTION tab make sure all are marked as ON in the MONITOR and DOWNLOAD columns. If they are not it can be done by highlighting the affected FL then clicking ON in MONITOR and DOWNLOAD at the top of the columns just above the FAVOURITES. If they are OFF, Sentinel will not load it into the scanner but is will be saved in the codeplug (the correct term) and you cannot scan it.

Let me know how you go.

R
Rusty,

yep as you explained above, all area set as you stated.

What I have found so far, when I got the scanner I loaded up Sentinel so to save the Original CFA Data Card, which I tried to save it as PlugCode: "Original Oct 20"

From there, as I am not in Victoria, I started to make up my own set of Systems which were more appropriate to my Scanning Interest:
S1 - GPS Scan List
- NSW GPS GRN,
- NSW GPS PMR
S2 - Aviation
S3 - Victoria

I then tried to Save those 3x Systems as PlugCode: "Oct 2020 v.1.0."

As I planned to use some of the CFA Sites and Talkgroups, I then tried to open the PlugCode: "Original Oct 20", with the aim of copy and past details into my own Systems, only to find the PlugCode: "Original Oct 20" Systems did not open with CFA Data, but openned was the Last entry I made into PlugCode: "Oct 2020 v.1.0.".

I have since tried to Save another CFA Data PlugCode . . . . No success
I have since tried to Save Up-dated My GPS Scan List v.I.2, v1.3, have tried to open the original PlugCode: "Oct 2020 v.1.0. . . . No success.

I find I can't Save up-dated data entries as New PlugCodes, and then go back and open a Saved PlugCode form 3 versions ago

I now have 2 separate memory cards for the scanner:
1 - My System Scan Card
2 - CFA Data Card
JAFO
VK2FGQ

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:59 pm

One solution is to export the CFA file as a .HPE. Then import it back into Sentinel following the bouncing ball. Making sure to follow the steps I mentioned before to ensure it is scanned (MONITORed) and DOWNLOADed.

Also instead of saving the files as SYSTEMs, you should maybe saving them as FAVOURITEs. As a hypothetical example you have FAVOURITE Victoria, then SYSTEM CFA, then SYSTEM MMFB, then SYSTEM Ambulance. You have to assign a QUICK KEY to the FAVOURITE, and QUICK KEY to each of the SYSTEMS.

I think that may help.

Also a minor thing, they are called codeplugs not plugcodes. It just gets a bit confusing that's all.

R

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:32 pm

rustynswrail wrote:One solution is to export the CFA file as a .HPE. Then import it back into Sentinel following the bouncing ball. Making sure to follow the steps I mentioned before to ensure it is scanned (MONITORed) and DOWNLOADed.

Also instead of saving the files as SYSTEMs, you should maybe saving them as FAVOURITEs. As a hypothetical example you have FAVOURITE Victoria, then SYSTEM CFA, then SYSTEM MMFB, then SYSTEM Ambulance. You have to assign a QUICK KEY to the FAVOURITE, and QUICK KEY to each of the SYSTEMS.

I think that may help.

Also a minor thing, they are called codeplugs not plugcodes. It just gets a bit confusing that's all.

R
Rusty,

Yea I have a 'Quick Key's' assigned to each of the Favourites - 1 to 3, and each Department - 1 to 14

I will admit, I still see and treat the 'Favourites System' as Banks and only use 1 to 9 . . . Better yet, with the GPS Scanning . . . the Aviation and Military Departments turn On/Off automatically as well . . . love the GPS Scanning side of things.

The advantage I see with the 536TP over the 396 and 996, is I don't have to press the Function Key first, then the Department No Key to turn On/Off the Departments, so much easier doing '1.11 Function' to switch On/Off the RFS Department Talkgroups.

And CodePlugs . . . PlugCodes . . . . only heard of the term back in March this year when I started looking at the DMR Amateur Radio System and had to search out the term when I read people asking about CodePlugs. In my head it's still a File.

I'm still an Old School Scanner user at heart I guess

Attached are a couple of screen shoots images on how I've got my Favourites & Departments set out, Quick Key assignments etc

Grant
Attachments
Sentine 2.jpg
(157.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sentine 1.jpg
(101.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
JAFO
VK2FGQ

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:41 pm

Screen shoot of the Scan Selection Page settings
Attachments
Sentine 3.jpg
(84.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
JAFO
VK2FGQ

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:50 pm

One of my jobs when the USDS100 series came out was to instruct Uniden staff on how to use Sentinel, I got to know its ins and outs.

But I will admit you've got me buggered. Let me think about it...

R

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:44 am

rustynswrail wrote:But I will admit you've got me buggered. Let me think about it...

R
Rusty . . . . Yep . . . I do that hehehe

I wasn't too fussed at first till last week when . . . . having made changes via my Scanner's settings, I done a scanner read from the scanner to Sentinel with the up-dated data. As I drive around I make minor adjustments to the Scanners Memory Settings - GPS Range Settings etc.

The issue for Me, I had added around 100 FRNSW, ASNSW PMR and most of the GRN Sites into Sentinel, all with GPS details, so when I ran the scanner read . . . it wiped all the extra 100 odd Sites I had entered into Sentinel.

As soon as I realised what I had done, I quickly open My last updated Saved CodePlug in the hope that the scanner read didn't wipe my 100 odd extra GRN & PMR Sites . . . hoping all would be fine, but No . . . . either it wasn't saved in the first place a week ago or the data upload from the Scanner updated the CodePlug, wiping all the entered sites.

Started looking at ProScan etc . . . but from what others have said, ProScan will only work via the Rear Serial Port which won't work for my in dash setup.

My idea is, I should be able to have a Master CodePlug Save and have a CodePlug that I use and update on a regular bases with new data as I move around and make adjustments, and then update the Master CodePlug every month or so.

But for Me it seems, Sentinel only saves the data that was last on Sentinel when the programmed was closed, regardless of how many Saved CodePugs I have saved . . . I can only open, what was there when I last closed Sentinel.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

Garry

Post by Garry » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:08 am

could it be saving to a different location on your PC and sentinel is only looking at one location for a file?
Happily Scanning Since 1983