Uniden USDS100 Released

Post by pks » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:02 am

Here it is...

https://www.uniden.com.au/product/usds100/

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Scotty

Uniden USDS100 Released

Post by Scotty » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:07 am

Hats off to Uniden Australia for getting this to the AU market quickly.

I hope they sell well, to show show Uniden the support is still out there. It’s currently at $1100.00 (RRP) for the scanner with DMR and NXDN additions, which one would expect to come down to around $950.00ish (retail) over the next 6 months or so.

rustynswrail

Re: Uniden USDS100 Released

Post by rustynswrail » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:45 pm

I can now tell you that the USDS100 will be available in about a week. It will come with standard battery, the larger battery being available for purchase as an optional extra.

I posted this elsewhere, but it is just as relevant here:

And before anyone whinges about the price, consider this. The RRP of the SDS100 in the US is $699.95, using the current exchange rate, that comes to $AUS956.50. The street price in the US is $649.95 which equals $AUS888.00. When first released in America the SDS100 was selling at the full RRP. Within a few weeks as more and more supplies arrived the price dropped. So while it looks like we are paying more, we are NOT. The price is/will be exactly the same as the US price. One other major thing to consider is this, if you import a unit from the US and something goes wrong, it can be a very expensive exercise (around the $150 to $200 mark) to return it for warranty repair. Uniden Australia provide local warranty for units sold in Australia.
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:14 am

Also remember that as of July 1st this year GST applies to all personal imports, not just those over $1000 as before, so add an extra 10% tax to the import costs (and remember to thank Mr Gerry Harvey of Harvey Norman for pushing that through).

Andrew

Scotty

Uniden USDS100 Released

Post by Scotty » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:18 am

Bigfella237 wrote:Also remember that as of July 1st this year GST applies to all personal imports, not just those over $1000 as before, so add an extra 10% tax to the import costs (and remember to thank Mr Gerry Harvey of Harvey Norman for pushing that through).

Andrew
Yes and no. While 10% GST is now technically payable on all imported items (as it should have always been - but that is another issue), OS companies only need to be GST registered if they are exporting more than AU$75k to Australia. The way it has been implemented means that it is the responsibility of the OS sender to voluntarily collect the GST and pass it onto the Australian Government - good luck to them with enforcing that. Customs processes have not changed, and they will only hold items over $1000.

I would find it unlikely if individual OS scanner sellers are sending AU$75k worth of personal import stock into Australia each year, and as such they are unlikely to be aware of their voluntary obligations, unlikely to be registered, unlikely to collect the tax, and unlikely to pass any tax onto the Australian Government.

I’ve had plenty of items under $1k come from smaller OS sellers since 1 July, and no GST has been collected by the sender or paid by me at the border.

As you say though, the GST does now apply (technically or not), so people should be prepared to pay it if it is requested.

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:03 am

Scotty, you are correct in your statements. However there is a small trap for young players. Buy a SDS100 for an American seller, have the seller 'install' two upgrades and you quickly bust the $AUS1000 limit. If the seller declares the sale at the full amount you stand a good chance of paying GST. While that is perfectly appropriate under law, it adds to the cost of the SDS100.

Buying the radio here - first up you have local warranty. As a mate of mine found out when his TRX1 had to be returned to the US under warranty, the cost was around $AUS200 because of postage and insurance costs both ways.

Now that the SDS100 is available in Australia (under 6 months since it was released in the US) it makes little sense to purchase it overseas with the associate risks mentioned above.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:57 am

I'd love to put one of these on my service monitor - I'd love to know how accurate the the RSSI meter that's displaying units of dBm really is!

Scotty

Uniden USDS100 Released

Post by Scotty » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:02 am

rustynswrail wrote:Buy a SDS100 for an American seller, have the seller 'install' two upgrades and you quickly bust the $AUS1000 limit. If the seller declares the sale at the full amount you stand a good chance of paying GST. While that is perfectly appropriate under law, it adds to the cost of the SDS100.

Buying the radio here - first up you have local warranty. As a mate of mine found out when his TRX1 had to be returned to the US under warranty, the cost was around $AUS200 because of postage and insurance costs both ways.

Now that the SDS100 is available in Australia (under 6 months since it was released in the US) it makes little sense to purchase it overseas with the associate risks mentioned above.

R
I definitely agree 100% - the price point Uniden have entered at, coupled with warranty, service, etc, make it worthwhile buying the USDS100 over the US SDS100 (or the EU SDS100E).

It’s been the same with the 436PT since the DMR, etc upgrades have been available.

And while there is now heaps of choice when it comes to DMR/NXDN/etc, and having a list of models is no longer as relevant, I’ll update the list I have been making on this board shortly with the USDS100.
http://www.scansydney.com/board/viewtop ... f=4&t=1764

Holdenracer

Post by Holdenracer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:46 am

Andrews communications

***ALL-NEW***

UNIDEN USDS-100 SCANNER...A$949!

New Uniden USDS-100 due
Wednesday, 5th December!

Customisable colour display, Trunktracker X, DIGITAL APCO-25 P1 & P2, Motorola, EDACS
and LTR trunking, MotoTRBO Capacity and
Connect+**, DMR Tier III**, Hytera XPT**,
single channel DMR**, NXDN 4800/9600**
...and analogue modes.
** = paid upgrade required!
Handheld digital scanning receiver!
Limited stock at this time...

cartman

Uniden USDS200

Post by cartman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Appears to be a Uniden SDS-200 in the works with the FCC, possibly a desktop scanner

In the Uniden Tavern on RR there is a discussion about some information about the SDS200 available on the FCC

SDS200 FCC ID AMWUB384
https://forums.radioreference.com/threa ... 84.380781/
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview