Uniden USDS100 Released

rustynswrail

Re: Uniden USDS100 Released

Post by rustynswrail » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:19 pm

Scotty wrote:I've had a USDS100 for a little bit now, and I'd like to post the following.

First up, the USDS100 is fantastic. The good points about this scanner are far too numerous to list here, suffice to say it is by far the best scanner I have purchased - and I have had more than a few over the years.

However, there are a couple of issues I'd like to raise - with the full knowledge that Russell pops his head in here:

- BATTERY:
Let's be honest, it's crap. The battery lasts only 4 to 6 hours when scanning the GRN, then takes between 6 to 8 hours to fully charge. The USDS uses a special Li-Ion battery pack, meaning there are no 'OEM' or off the shelf options available. Worse still, Uniden AU still do not offer spare batteries or external chargers, which means it is not possible to take this handheld scanner somewhere without external power. The US models got an upgraded (horrible looking) battery pack before the AU version was even released here. It is a pity the battery issues rectified in the US model were not rectified here. That aside, at the very least Uniden AU could hurry up and stock battery packs and chargers so this fantastic handheld scanner can finally be used away from a desk.

- 'FAVORITES LIST':
Why does the 'Favorites List' need to load from the SD card each and every time the scanner starts? Can it not be moved to another location on the scanner to speed up startup? Considering the only way to use this scanner in AU is with the required information in the 'Favorites List', it is a pity this list cannot be better managed. Waiting 20-25 seconds each time you start the scanner for the 'Favorites List' to load is, again to be honest, crap.

- SOFTWARE:
The USDS100 Sentinel software is still not available from the Uniden AU website. To get access to it you have to know somebody who has it. Considering the way in which this scanner is programmed, that's not very good. How hard is it to put a link to it on the website?

- POSTCODE SCANNING:
Why can't the postcode options be made available to AU users? The Sentinel software allows GPS locations to be added, so if postcodes could have GPS co-ords added then the 'Zip Services' button would work here. Maybe this could be a consideration for the future?

- USB/BLUETOOTH/WIFI - THE FUTURE:
Micro and mini? Really? Welcome to the 2000's! :)
More a US development issue, but I wonder why Type-C wasn't used? Considering the technology in this scanner it would have made sense, with it's ability to be used for power/data/audio/video. More of a 'shake head' issue than an operating issue, as the mini/micro do work. And while on developer considerations, it's about time a ~$1000 (RRP) scanner comes with Bluetooth (for earphones/speakers) and even WiFi for updating/modifying/connecting to external PC's without a cable - consdering these options are available on 'older' spec BCDx36 models.
I thought to myself I am not going to get involved with this, but I cannot help myself. Point for point..

- BATTERY: First and foremost the choice of battery was not solely Uniden Australia's. It was recommended that UAUS sell the USDS with the large battery, however due to the replacement program in the US none were available. To at least get the scanner onto the Australian market the smaller battery was supplied. Now before anyone says, "why can't they do the battery upgrade like they did in America?" It was purely a decision made in America for America. The larger battery will be available here later on. And I agree the smaller battery is not the best, but being a SDR it needs that little bit extra punch and most commercial secondary cells cannot deliver it.

- 'FAVORITES LIST': If your FL's are taking up to 25 seconds to load then I'd suggest you may have a card issue. I am running the stock standard supplied card with around 30 FL's all with multiple systems and it loads in 5 to 7 seconds at the most. Just because a card appears to work in a computer doesn't mean it will work just as well in the radio. Also the use of 16, 32 and 64 GHz cards will slow down the boot up sequence. The larger cards are really unnecessary, the standard card will hold hundreds of hours of recordings and other data.

- SOFTWARE: I will get that fixed. I will get the software loaded on the UAUS website.

- POSTCODE SCANNING: The postcode/zipcode feature would not work here as it does on the US. A lot of services in the US are city and county based. They are relatively small municipal areas. A single TX site usually covers those areas, as zipcodes cover smaller regions than our postcodes it works for them. As an example postcode 2777 is Springwood NSW, ignoring the police (as they are encrypted) if I entered 2777 into my scanner I would hear nothing because there are no or very few transmitters within that postcode area. One of the best GRN sites to monitor is GPT, postcode 2000, it can be done easily from Springwood, using 2777 would exclude it from the scan. And to answer your question, no it is not being considered in the future.

- USB/BLUETOOTH/WIFI - THE FUTURE: The choice of cables is contentious one, why choose one above the other, your guess is as good as mine, especially since the SDS100 has mini USB and the SDS200 and micro USB. The designers in Uniden America would have to answer that, remember that UAUS has no input into the design or features built into a scanner that is effectively for the American market, we and Europe don't rate with the Yanks. And finally you state, "it's about time a ~$1000 (RRP) scanner comes with Bluetooth (for earphones/speakers) and even WiFi for updating/modifying/connecting to external PC's without a cable - considering these options are available on 'older' spec BCDx36 models." I am not familiar with the x36 models having WiFi for anything other than the BCD536HP for remote control, the 436HP does not. They certainly didn't support Bluetooth.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:16 am

Radio_Australia wrote:
If you’re monitoring the grn or any other p25 uhf network it will work for you ,
Yes, but only if the "DATA" indicator is rock solid. A flakey signal will cause tracking errors. Hopefully a firmware update can fix that. Older scanners are a lot more forgiving of low signal levels on the GRN.
Radio_Australia wrote:When it comes to dmr , nxdn , cap+ cap max ,etc etc , you will encounter issues ..
This issue is well documented by US monitors but I think a firmware update can fix it. I find after a DMR voice transmission ends, the 100 lingers on that channel too long still decoding stuff, hence missed replies etc.
Radio_Australia wrote:Sensitivity is very crap compared with the much older 436 ,
I think sensitivity is OK and selectivity is excellent. When I'm around the TV towers at Artarmon, other scanners falter with all that RF around but the SDS100 seems to chug away nicely.
Radio_Australia wrote:For testing , I had a 436 and sds side by side and the SDs would miss a majority of conversations.
I've found the same but when I select a GRN site that has a strong signal and the 'DATA' indicator locks on solid, the SDS100 tracks on par or even better than other older scanners.

One of my gripes is the brightness of the red and green LED lights. Way too bright!. When the green light comes on when it's fully charged, I can use the scanner as a torch. I've put pieces of light diffuser in the slots where the LEDs sit but they're still bright.

Mike

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:00 pm

rustynswrail wrote:- BATTERY: The larger battery will be available here later on.
That is my main gripe. The USDS was released in AU some 9 months back, but there is still no opportunity to purchase battery packs or chargers here. I understand why there was a switch away from AA type batteries to a large capacity battery, however as I mentioned earlier the scanner cannot be property used as a handheld (ie can't be taken out for a day) as it needs to be tied to a power source once the battery goes flat.

Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:26 pm

Mike Alpha wrote:
Radio_Australia wrote:
If you’re monitoring the grn or any other p25 uhf network it will work for you ,
Yes, but only if the "DATA" indicator is rock solid. A flakey signal will cause tracking errors. Hopefully a firmware update can fix that. Older scanners are a lot more forgiving of low signal levels on the GRN.
Radio_Australia wrote:When it comes to dmr , nxdn , cap+ cap max ,etc etc , you will encounter issues ..
This issue is well documented by US monitors but I think a firmware update can fix it. I find after a DMR voice transmission ends, the 100 lingers on that channel too long still decoding stuff, hence missed replies etc.
Radio_Australia wrote:Sensitivity is very crap compared with the much older 436 ,
I think sensitivity is OK and selectivity is excellent. When I'm around the TV towers at Artarmon, other scanners falter with all that RF around but the SDS100 seems to chug away nicely.
Radio_Australia wrote:For testing , I had a 436 and sds side by side and the SDs would miss a majority of conversations.
I've found the same but when I select a GRN site that has a strong signal and the 'DATA' indicator locks on solid, the SDS100 tracks on par or even better than other older scanners.

One of my gripes is the brightness of the red and green LED lights. Way too bright!. When the green light comes on when it's fully charged, I can use the scanner as a torch. I've put pieces of light diffuser in the slots where the LEDs sit but they're still bright.

Mike
I’m not so sure firmware can fix it , I’ve talked to uniden many times , and they do not acknowledge a issue at all ..

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:29 pm

Radio_Australia wrote:I’m not so sure firmware can fix it , I’ve talked to uniden many times , and they do not acknowledge a issue at all ..
Speaking of firmware updates, I note there is an August 2019 firmware update (v1.02.01) now available on the Uniden AU site.

I won’t have access to a PC for a couple of days to download the file. Anybody able to give an indication of what this update addresses?

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:41 pm

Scotty wrote:Speaking of firmware updates, I note there is an August 2019 firmware update (v1.02.01) now available on the Uniden AU site.
I and others have found that update was already in our USDS100s. The actual files are dated April 2019... :?:

Mike

Scotty

Uniden USDS100 Released

Post by Scotty » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:41 pm

You’re right - I also already have sub firmware v1.02.01 installed. Bugger, got excited about nothing :)

Either way, big thumbs up to Russell for getting someone’s arse into gear and organising for the USDS Sentinel software to get uploaded to the Uniden website (or as the file on the website says, ‘Sortwear’??).