re-program a UBCD396XT

Noel White

re-program a UBCD396XT

Post by Noel White » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:52 pm

[Moderator Note: Moved to Scanners forum]

First off my apologies if this not the correct forum to ask this question, but need some assistance to re-program a UBCD396XT that has been sitting on a shelf for about 18 months. Not far from the Beecroft GNR tower and can't remember (senior's moment) if I should enter all the frequencies associated with that site or just the control channels. Have stored all the owners instructions, notes and manuals some safe place never to be found again. :-(

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Noel
Noel White
FreeScan, ProScan
Uniden UBCD369XT, UBCD996XT (now sold), UBCD436PT (wish list), UBCD536XT

citabria
Site Admin

Re: re-program a UBCD396XT

Post by citabria » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:15 am

Just the control channels will do.

Noel White

Post by Noel White » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:30 am

citabria wrote:Just the control channels will do.
Thanks Citabria, that triggered an input to the old memory bank. Just when I saw all the frequencies in the RR database, wasn't sure what to do. All working fine now, just need to sort out the TGID's again.

Noel
Noel White
FreeScan, ProScan

Noel White

Post by Noel White » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:09 pm

Need some further assistance re which NSW GRN network to monitor? Located lower Hills area and with an external UHF antenna can hear Beecroft tower fairly well and Gov Phillip tower only when the wind is blowing in the right direction. With just the portable Uniden antenna from inside the house, Beecroft signal strength is very low and, as expected GPT is zero. However, there is always a however, Horsley Park comes in with 3 to 4 bars with just the portable antenna.

Question, if I monitor just Horsley Park, will I be restricted to events in that particular area and not the areas covered by Beecroft and GPT.

As I'm writing this, can hear reference to an incident at Port Botany via Horsley Park.

Again many thanks for any assistance in advance.

Noel
Noel White
FreeScan, ProScan

Holdenracer

Post by Holdenracer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:12 pm

In regards to the antenna I would recommend you buy a diamond SRH 771 from Andrews communications in Greystanes. much better antenna than the stock standard

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/Antennas

SRH-771 2m/70cm 40cm long - See also SRH-771-ACS. In stock!
$49

Noel White

Post by Noel White » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:31 pm

Holdenracer wrote:In regards to the antenna I would recommend you buy a diamond SRH 771 from Andrews communications in Greystanes. much better antenna than the stock standard

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/Antennas

SRH-771 2m/70cm 40cm long - See also SRH-771-ACS. In stock!
$49
Thanks Holden Racer, getting a bit long in the tooth to be climbing around the roof installing new antennas. Happy with my existing setup, one VHF covering air and marine bands and the UHF for the higher frequencies.

Noel
Noel White
FreeScan, ProScan

Noel White

Post by Noel White » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:55 pm

Noel White wrote: Question, if I monitor just Horsley Park, will I be restricted to events in that particular area and not the areas covered by Beecroft and GPT.

As I'm writing this, can hear reference to an incident at Port Botany via Horsley Park.

Again many thanks for any assistance in advance.

Noel
Hello, still seeking some help as to which GRN tower I should monitor. Noticed that haven't logged any Sydney Ferries in the 1090x band of the TGID's while monitoring Horsley Park tower where they would pop up on both the Beecroft and GPT sites in the past.

Appreciate any advice as to what site would best suit my situation.

Noel
Noel White
FreeScan, ProScan

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:26 pm

Yes, each site will only carry traffic from a talkgroup if a user radio is currently affiliated with that site, on that talkgroup. If that radio gets turned off or roams to a different site then it will no longer carry that traffic (assuming it was the only radio there), so I guess it all depends on which sites carry what traffic and who you want to listen in on?

To start with, run a conventional scan of all control channels and note down which sites you can receive and their signal strength. If you just want to scan in general you don't have to choose any one site, just scan all the control channels with a reasonable signal strength.

Andrew

Noel White

Post by Noel White » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:27 am

Many thanks Andrew,

That makes sense and now think I understand how the GRN systems works. Interesting.

Will follow your advice and work thru the control channels under a conventional scan and monitor the signal strengths. Weed out the non performers and settle on a working a P25 System with the control channels for the strongest GRN sites that are within my area of interest.

Thanks again for your input greatly appreciated.

Noel
Noel White
FreeScan, ProScan