996 front serial broken :-(

kevnerd486

996 front serial broken :-(

Post by kevnerd486 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi all,

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem but the front serial port on my 996 has been playing up after much abuse being bashed about mobile under the back seat and powering the remote head. It decided to stop working and basically fell apart.

The good news is its a fairly simple fix, the circuit board inside is clearly marked and accessible, so i soldered on a 4 core cable and exited outside the case with a DB9 connector. Will be a lot more robust.

Regards

Kev

JAFO

Re: 996 front serial broken :-(

Post by JAFO » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:23 pm

kevnerd486 wrote:Hi all,

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem but the front serial port on my 996 has been playing up after much abuse being bashed about mobile under the back seat and powering the remote head. It decided to stop working and basically fell apart.

The good news is its a fairly simple fix, the circuit board inside is clearly marked and accessible, so i soldered on a 4 core cable and exited outside the case with a DB9 connector. Will be a lot more robust.

Regards

Kev
Yes, well, would be nice if Uniden Australia brought out another Australian version of the 996XT, so do miss the GPS In-put, would be nice to have a Mini-USB Hub that could be used with the 396XT to operate the remote head and GPS at the same time in a car
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT