Victorian Police (Country Areas) trialing P25

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: Victorian Police (Country Areas) trialing P25

Post by Bigfella237 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:07 am

system_tech wrote:As far as I know, it is P25 Conventional (ie repeaters) on VHF that is being trialled. There would be no need on the medim to longer term horizon to incorporate this into a Moto or other trunking system. The Vic Govt already has a VHF Trunking System, albeit analogue, and MPT-1327, it still works!

Having said that, if you are using at Tait Base in analogue, or digital, there is a possibility that at a laster stage it can be trunked, using Taits own trunking controllers, which already exist for 1327 and P25.
Thanks S_T,

I knew about the 1327 but I didn't know Tait did P25 trunking yet?

I guess I am speculating so far out that anything put into service today would probably be getting toward the end of it's life anyway?
system_tech wrote:Remember, P25 is now not "Motorola" only.
Yep, gotta remember there's a big difference between APCO25 and ASTRO25!

Andrew

system_tech

Re: Victorian Police (Country Areas) trialing P25

Post by system_tech » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:11 am

Hi Andrew,

for Victoria, they are not looking at a trunked P25 system a la MMR for the "bush" as yet, either VHF or UHF.
It has been suggested quite a few time so you never know your luck.

I'm across a "little" of the Victoria CFA trials (they are trialling as well as Police) through work, so far they are looking conventional "P25" or digital network, it would be notionally similar to current NSW Police, except on VHF of course.

Obviously still in a trial stage.

My personal opinion is that if any Govt agency in Vic went digital trunking in the "bush" it would be Whole Of Govt like SMR and thus wiuld be a big change, and would take a lot of thought and consideration to do it.

Don't forget that the Vic Govt doesn't own the SMR these days, it just rents it. I'm not sure they would get back into network ownership, although they could dump the current owner / operator with appropriate contractual notice, and build their own one to have it ready to take over. Or even ask the current owner to upgrade, who knows?

As for Tait and P25, have a look at:

http://www.taitworld.com/main/index.cfm ... P25-system

Large Brazilian Electricity Company chooses TaitNet P25 system
Date : August 5, 2009
Companhia de Transmissão de Energia Elétrica (CTEEP) is one of the largest electricity transmission companies in Brazil. It operates a complex infrastructure with more than 12,144 kms of transmission lines that extend throughout the State of São Paulo, with over 18,495 kms of circuits.

CTEEP selected Tait to supply a 69 site APCO P25 VHF digital radio system to cover its operations across the entire state. The 102 substations operated by the company provide a transformation capacity over 40,000 MVA. The whole operation is monitored by an integrated system for electric system coordination, supervision and control. It is absolutely critical for this complex to have its own reliable and high performance telecommunications system.