Victorian Police (Country Areas) trialing P25

matthewn1983

Victorian Police (Country Areas) trialing P25

Post by matthewn1983 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:56 pm

As seen on 'aurfscan.com.au' members are reporting that the Victoria Police in Country areas such as Bendigo and Ballarat are trialing P25 system.

Ref: http://www.aurfscan.com.au/showthread.p ... ls&p=47076
Live Stream: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=7514

Matt

Longreach

Re: Victorian Police (Country Areas) trialing P25

Post by Longreach » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:04 pm

The MMR expanding?
VK2MRC

Wonky

Post by Wonky » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:24 pm

Not MMR expansion - these tests are on vhf freqs.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:35 pm

The MMR is undergoing a bit of a re-arrange at the moment... it's been split into two 'zones' (eastern sites are remaining in zone 1 and western sites have been/are being moved to the new zone 2) but it still remains within it's original footprint, there have been a few new sites commissioned but no actual expansion to speak of?

Andrew

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi all, ah ok, i had a listen to the stream in that area. not sure although could be the scanner itself.
ive ready though that the plan is to go P25 across victoria and the bases will be replaced with Tait equipment.
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

Sigint

Post by Sigint » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:55 pm

Longreach wrote:Hi all, ah ok, i had a listen to the stream in that area. not sure although could be the scanner itself.
ive ready though that the plan is to go P25 across victoria and the bases will be replaced with Tait equipment.
cheers
Matt
The Tait equipment deal is totally different to the MMR.

--
Sigint

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:16 am

Longreach wrote:Hi all, ah ok, i had a listen to the stream in that area. not sure although could be the scanner itself.
cheers
Matt
I think you'll find that the plan is not so much P25 but actually to get the entire state encrypted, the move to P25 is just the first step although I think that going with the Tait equipment is a bit short-sighted on the part of the powers that be, mainly from the point of view of the gear not being able to be incorporated into a Moto trunking system in the future?

Having said that, who knows if they even intend the MMR to end up covering the whole state? It's certainly very restricted as to who they allow to use it (VICPol, ambos & firies only) when compared to the NSW and SA GRNs and you would think they might have at least some coverage in the larger country centres such as Bendigo, Shepparton, Traralgon etc. by now?

Andrew

Sigint

Post by Sigint » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:25 am

Bigfella237 wrote: . . although I think that going with the Tait equipment is a bit short-sighted on the part of the powers that be, mainly from the point of view of the gear not being able to be incorporated into a Moto trunking system in the future?
Maybe I am misinterpreting your post, but the whole idea of APCO Project 25 is that P25 equipment from one manufacturer will operate with the P25 equipment from any other manufacturer. So there should be no reason why the Tait equipment will not be able to be incorporated into a P25 trunking system, that just happens to be manufactured by Motorola. Unless, of course, the said trunking system has Motorola specific enhancements, which technically, makes it non-compliant, and therefore, not a "P25" trunking system, even though it uses the P25 CAI.

--
Sigint

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:09 am

Yeah, I was talking about physically connecting Tait bases to Motorola controllers? I am by no means an expert but knowing Motorola it would surprise me if they didn't somehow make sure that you need to purchase their bases as well?

Also, with mother having the maintenance contract, I doubt they (the corporate 'they') would be all that happy about working with Tait bases either?

But then again I wouldn't know; this is, as always, just my personal opinion which will no doubt be corrected (yet again)! :roll:

Andrew

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:46 am

As far as I know, it is P25 Conventional (ie repeaters) on VHF that is being trialled. There would be no need on the medim to longer term horizon to incorporate this into a Moto or other trunking system. The Vic Govt already has a VHF Trunking System, albeit analogue, and MPT-1327, it still works!

Having said that, if you are using at Tait Base in analogue, or digital, there is a possibility that at a laster stage it can be trunked, using Taits own trunking controllers, which already exist for 1327 and P25.

Remember, P25 is now not "Motorola" only.