GNUradio

citabria
Site Admin

GNUradio

Post by citabria » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi guys,

Does anyone here have any experience building GNUradio from the subversion trunk on Ubuntu? i'm running into some problems running ./configure though i'm pretty sure i've met the dependancies..

Can anyone help? I'm very keen to get this running as i've found a very cool P25 decoding/analysis package for GNUradio. I'ts available at http://www.sedition.org.au/op25/ and can run off a discriminator tap (which I already have)

Thanks,
Matt

citabria
Site Admin

Re: GNUradio

Post by citabria » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:39 pm

FYI, sorted it out, and got it to compile. GNUradio has a very steep learning curve..

col05_au

Post by col05_au » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:52 am

So I guess the question is how does it work ?

Is it worth the effort of installing on my Fedora box ?

Col

Dopeler effect (n): The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:57 am

Howdy - Unless you have a dying urge to play with the software or you're a Unix guru, then I wouldnt reccomend it! There is quite a bit of work there and theres well over 100 other software packages that need to be installed as dependancies (not joking) so its guite a comlex bit of kit.

Cheers,
Matt

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:21 am

To answer your first question - basically there are two parts to GNUradio, a hardware DSP and the software package. The hardware, called a USRP, does the job of converting large chunks of RF into numbers that the software can then crunch. basically you are only limited by the software, many modules have been written, including a passive radar to track aircraft, a software GPS, a radio astronomy package amongst many others.

more info at www.gnuradio.org

col05_au

Post by col05_au » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Matt,

you seem to have got my attention with this one, I like the look of it.

The Linux side of this hasn't scared me too much yet, what's a USRP worth ?

Col

Dopeler effect (n): The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:40 pm

Theres two versions - the USRP is USB 2.0 connected for a max throughput of 32MB/sec and costs about $700USD + RF modules. The USRP2 has Gig ethernet connectivity and is around double the cost..

GNUradio can be run off a discriminator tapped scanner if you only want to do basic sigle channel stuff (perfect for getting started with OP25) - this is what I am working on now.

Ettus research is the company that develops and sells the USRP -> http://www.ettus.com/custom.html

Cheers,
Matt

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:35 am

Col,

I finally got it compiled and working - some of the libraries weren't configured correctly in ldconfig, once I fixed this it all ran sweetly. I'm using it on Ubuntu which as you know is Debian based - the authors of GNUradio recomend Fedora.

It would be great to get more people playing with this, I hope you decide to install it.

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:22 pm

Hey Matt,

I'll fire up my fedora box and install it and get playing with it as i'm always up for new challenges.

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:50 pm

Nice,

I managed to get the examples working under 8.04 last night too... gotta figure out the 4sfk and OP25 modules now.

Cheers,
Matt