Scanner for decoding

POCSAG, Mobitex
Farsouthscanner

Scanner for decoding

Post by Farsouthscanner » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:59 am

Hi all
I am thinking of getting a scanner for pager decoding. In the future I want to get another digital scanner and stuff so I don't want to spend a lot of money now.
I have noticed Uniden has a portable scanner 73XLT for about $150. Will this pick up 148-150MHz in the right KHz steps? The reason I ask is I have a Uniden 61XLT that I tried before it went onto the audio stream server and I couldn't pick up anything for pagers.
Can anyone recommend a cheap scanner, either desktop or portable and preferably under $200, its a big ask I know.
Mark

astro_boy

Re: Scanner for decoding

Post by astro_boy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:28 pm

I use a 72xlt,
Looks the same as the 73xlt.
It its the aust. model but still doesnt do the right steps in the
vhf band but i can still pick up and decode pagers fine even without a discrim. tap.

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:31 pm

Why not hunt for a second hand model, something that is better then these bottom shelf Uniden models but around the same price. Any scanner that covers the band you need will do the job.

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:47 am

Thanks for the replies. I might also look into a discrimminator tap while I am going.
Mark

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi Mark.

Thats why I suggested a second hand unit. I sort of assumed you would put a discriminator tap in it for decoding, as most things you decode need this. Bit silly if you ask me forking out for a brand new model, only to voide the warranty by adding a tap to it.
Also silly because for the same money, you could get a better model, that receives better, second hand, but the same price as a new bottom shelf model.

Just my 2c

alphamike

Post by alphamike » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:49 pm

Hey.
I have the 92xlt for sale, the next model up over the 75.
From memory the advantages are and extra 100 channels and the rechargeable batteries and charger are included.
It's up in the for sale section, let me know if the price isn't quite what your looking for.

Alex

Farsouthscanner

Post by Farsouthscanner » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:22 pm

Thanks for the replies
I don't know that I have the tools and knowledge to do a tap myself but I still havn't ruled it out.
Alex: I am waiting on some prices for new scanners but I will keep your scanner option in mind.
Mark

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi,

whichever scanner you get, chances are that this site:

http://www.discriminator.nl/index-en.html

will have instructions for your unit.

s_t

scanSydney
Site Admin

Post by scanSydney » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:34 pm

system_tech wrote:Hi,

whichever scanner you get, chances are that this site:

http://www.discriminator.nl/index-en.html

will have instructions for your unit.

s_t
This site tends to be a bit vague with it's instructions. On this page:
http://www.discriminator.nl/ubc120xlt/index-en.html

Is it basically saying, I need to solder a piece of wire from 'pin 9' to a 3.5mm thing?

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:49 pm

Yep. a 10k resistor will help protect the scanner and PC in the event of a short. I used to recomend a capacitor in line but I believe it works better with the resistor.

The MC3361 FM Dicriminator in the 120xlt is very common in scanners of that era. The hardest part about tapping that radio is the fact the chip is surface mount and the pins are rather small.

I have some pics that I took at scannsw's place years ago that I can post up if you want some more detail.

Cheers,
Matt