Settingup for Pager decoding

POCSAG, Mobitex
Longreach

Re: Settingup for Pager decoding

Post by Longreach » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:19 am

yeah ill agree, the mic inputs are crap in the sense that they have supression on them, line inputs are the go. look for noise supression or other stuff that will muck up your inputs. get the volumes right too, the meter should stay up near or in the red while the tones are being recieved.
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:45 pm

The Soundcard is onboard
The scanner is connected to the "Line In" socket on my sound card

The cable i'm using is about two metres in length and has a convertor on one end to go from RCA to the correct mm socket to plug into my sound card, on the other end its plugged into the Scanner at the discriminator tap port on the back.

The scanner is a ubc780xlt, and the discriminator tap works perfectly when I am running trunk88 on the current nswgrn system.

sw sydney scanner

Post by sw sydney scanner » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:48 pm

hi all how do i need to set pdw up to get it decoding im using a ubc92xlt with discrimintor tap
had it working perfect a while ago just muching around with it again forgot how to set it up
Thanks sw sydney scanner. Using UBCD396T

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:39 pm

What you trying to monitor???

sw sydney scanner

Post by sw sydney scanner » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:58 pm

sory more info would be good i was going to try and monitor 148.1375 and try and help out centralcoastscanman
Thanks sw sydney scanner. Using UBCD396T

melbourneradio

Post by melbourneradio » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 am

I Posted this around a number of forums , in the past and saw this may be of help to some of you guys

while not Sydney or NSW based i have been playing around with pagers and paging in
Vic for some time .... as well as PDW

Ok as there has been a great deal of interest in this topic i have decided to put up a simple way to setup this software

what is needed ,

1 scanner , this can be tricky some work some dont i have had success with the 92 xlt 780 xlt but dont try the 57 xlt 760xlt and a few other s (maybe some one can chip in here and tell us what you are running and what works for you )

2 ) a spare computer with a sound card , this does not have to be a wizz bang set up any computer will do in fact i have run it on a old p166 so if you have an old pc lying around there is now a use for it

3) a 3,5 mono to 3.5 mon lead this can be obtained form any electronics shop like dse tandy jaycar they all have it

4 ) the software , the newest version is 2.14 and can be downloaded
off the net for free http://www.xs4all...tron/flex/

5) a set of filters (this will be coverd later )

ok now the set up

step 1 ) install the softtware on the pc including the driver (for xp users it will not work with out them )

step 2) turn on the scanner lock it on a chan program in 148.6375 for melbourne metro turn off all pri or the like this will inter fear with the decoding

step 3 ) plug 3.5 lead into scanner ear phone and pc sound card

step 4 ) open pdw software and put in the following settings

interface section ,or cntrl S ,

tick SOUNDCARD

conf , earphone 1

sample rate 44100

ok

now go to

the volume settings and have this set fairly low i have found the first notch is about the sweet spot but this will take some playing around

step 5 )

adjust volume on scanner to a low setting just fter you turn the unit on is best i have found but again this is a matter iof fiddling around untill you find a sweet spot

step 6 ) sit back and watch the messages

(ok but you dont want to see everything well yep there is an answer
waht you need is a set of filters a file that id's the cap codes and puts only the messages that you want on the bottom screen i have several copies of these capcodes but i will not provide them as i did not do the hard work and there forwe cant take the credit ask around plenty of people have them )

(ahhh but wait there is more you can still "filter you messages by going to options , filters , add , then go to filter type TEXT , then put in alert in the text box this will filter all the turnout messages and then you can get your own cap codes )

the other thing to focus on is ntenna i am using my hand held antenna and getting fair results but an external antenna is best

i hope this helps all those in need

when i get time i will put this up on a web page with all the instructions in a graphic display

*** activated link ***
John Remington
Melbourne Radio
To Many Radios to list
www.vk3xri.info

soupbones

Post by soupbones » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:28 pm

Great tutorial there I must say.
Unfortunately the link to the software is dead, and/or incorrect.
I have the PDW site as
http://www.gsm-antennes.nl/PDW/pdw.php?lang=eng