Sydney Metro opening 26 May 2019

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:34 am

https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/w ... ound/metro#/

Sydney Metro offers a new generation of fast, safe and reliable train services. Metro services are high-frequency, driverless trains, which can quickly take you between Tallawong Station and Chatswood Station. With frequent services you can just turn up and go. The metro stops at 13 stations along the Metro North West Line, including 8 new metro stations and 5 upgraded stations.

North West Night Bus, a late night bus service, will run in Sydney’s North West from Sunday to Wednesday.

Sydney Metro is opening in the North West on 26 May offering high frequency turn-up-and-go services between Rouse Hill and Chatswood.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun May 26, 2019 2:37 pm

I took a trip this morning. It’s quiet and fast - but quickly filled with passengers. Will be interested to see how it goes during peak hours over the coming weeks and months.

Being a TETRA system I didn’t bother to have a scanner with me, but most staff had a portable radio with them. The audio through the speaker mics was woeful - almost unreadable, and when the doors on the train wouldn’t open at one station and the attendant I was speaking with was trying to call back to control, all he was getting was a busy type tone. This was at Tallawong, which is all the way at the end of the line, not in a tunnel. Not a great start.

Considering the GRN covers all facets of the network, including the tunnels, one really does wonder why whoever had the contract saw a need to duplicate a two-way radio system throughout the network for staff radios, when the GRN would likely have met the brief. Being driverless, the trains likely need a constant data connection, which may go towards explaining the TETRA choice.

cartman

Re: Sydney Metro opening 26 May 2019

Post by cartman » Sun May 26, 2019 6:27 pm

The choke point will be Chatswood Interchange from Monday.
If there is an incident in the Sydney Trains system and delayed trains, Chatswood will quickly fill up.
Beyond that I am not going to make any comment (for reasons that are obvious to those who know me)
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Sun May 26, 2019 6:46 pm

https://www.sydneymetro.info/map/sydney ... -train-map

If anyone is able to take a scanner for a ride, I'm looking to confirm the GRN site numbers covering the new underground stations?

I believe Hills Showground Station, Norwest Station & Bella Vista Station should be covered by site 001-025

And Castle Hill Station & Cherrybrook Station should be covered by site 001-026 (as well as the tunnels in between of course)

Any discovery would be appreciated, please reply in the GRN Sites listing here: http://www.scansydney.com/board/viewtop ... f=24&t=769

Andrew

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun May 26, 2019 7:57 pm

cartman wrote:The choke point will be Chatswood Interchange from Monday.
If there is an incident in the Sydney Trains system and delayed trains, Chatswood will quickly fill up.
Yep, until the second harbour crossing is finally completed Chatswood, and to a lesser extent Epping, will become choke points, especially if there are delays.

There’s been a lot of nay-sayers in the media badmouthing the entire project, and I didn’t really know what to expect. I must admit, I was impressed by the platform barrier doors, the step on/off ease (very little gap) but mostly by the quick (and jerkless) speed increases when the carriages were full - the difference in that respect between the current rolling stock on the rest of the network was chalk and cheese. I’m not yet sure about the seating arrangement and driverless aspects - but they will both be tested over time.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:58 pm

Tokyo's subway trains have been driverless for 30+ years, although there was apparently a public outcry at the time they were introduced, so they hired a guy to sit in the cabin and do nothing all day, or so the story goes.

Andrew

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:48 pm

So is the Tetra system passing data to control the trains?
The other day they would not wake up from the yard for the afternoon peak.

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:07 pm

freqwaves wrote:So is the Tetra system passing data to control the trains? The other day they would not wake up from the yard for the afternoon peak.
Generally speaking driverless train systems use a signal wire that runs down the middle of the four foot, (the area between the two tracks). They never use radio for train remote control due to the chances of interference, deliberate or otherwise.

The Metro radio system is mainly voice only. There maybe some non essential or non control data crossing the system.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

cartman

Post by cartman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:35 pm

The Sydney North West Metro signalling and train control system is using Alstom Urbalis™400 Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) technology to integrate with Alstom Metropolis trains and interface with communications systems

https://plenarygroup.com/projects/asia- ... -northwest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communica ... in_control
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:10 pm

Thanks guys for the info.
Very interesting on how it works.