Sydney Light Rail

Garry

Sydney Light Rail

Post by Garry » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:56 pm

I wonder if they will add any more frequencies to their network ?

http://www.theage.com.au/nsw/dulwich-hi ... 33gxl.html
Happily Scanning Since 1983

freqwaves

Re: Sydney Light Rail

Post by freqwaves » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:06 pm

I was wondering if they were going to relocate their repeater to a higher building but just found on the ACMA that they do have 3 new frequencies.
491.600 - Dulwich Hill station
493.400 - Leichardt station
491.550 - Ibis Hotel at Pyrmont which is also co located with their existing frequency 463.925.

John.

Garry

Post by Garry » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:21 pm

fingers crossed that they stay in the clear for us

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:50 am

I know this is slightly off topic but I don't get why they're spending all this money on trams, maybe it's because I'm not a city-dweller but I can't see why a tram is any better than a bus, and surely it would be much cheaper to buy (and maintain) extra buses then to lay down all these new tram lines everywhere?

If I was gonna do something like that, I would've spent the money on an overhead monorail instead, you avoid getting stuck in the vehicular traffic below, which means you actually have a chance of sticking to a timetable, and as an added bonus you're not adding to the congestion on surface roads either!

Andrew

cartman

Post by cartman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:50 am

They are on a dedicated rail line ... The old freight line from wentworth park through lilyfield towards dulwich hill. This is the rail line that passes over parramatta road but then goes under the main western line viaduct, past the old waratah mill silo

Grant
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:33 am

Bigfella237 wrote:I know this is slightly off topic but I don't get why they're spending all this money on trams, maybe it's because I'm not a city-dweller but I can't see why a tram is any better than a bus, and surely it would be much cheaper to buy (and maintain) extra buses then to lay down all these new tram lines everywhere?
If I was gonna do something like that, I would've spent the money on an overhead monorail instead, you avoid getting stuck in the vehicular traffic below, which means you actually have a chance of sticking to a timetable, and as an added bonus you're not adding to the congestion on surface roads either!
Andrew
Andrew,

Trams, or more correctly light rail vehicles as Grant pointed out mainly run in a dedicated right of way. Buses have to use public streets. Trams are capable of moving far more people than buses ever will be. Even when buses use O bahns like Adelaide, they are just as expensive to build as a tram permanent way and dedicated O bahns are far more intrusive than tram tracks. A monorail is in fact also more intrusive than a tram because you have to have the supports for the monorail in public streets. Light rail street level tracks are able to be largely ignored by motorists and pedestrians unless of course a tram is in situ. Trams normally do not run to a timetable, instead they use a separation/demand method, ie; every ten minutes or so, depending on demand.

When trams do run in the streets, they by law have right of way over vehicle traffic. The amount of street running the Sydney system has at the moment is minimal. That will obviously increase as the network expands. I have travelled on trams in many countries and they beat buses hands down for efficiency and comfort. And if you are a climate change believer they are better in that field as well. Melbourne has the perfect example of a modern light rail system, and as much as I hate to say it, has one up on Sydney because of it.

R
Amateur Radio, when all other cures for insomnia fail!

Garry

Post by Garry » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:10 am

the new section of the Light Rail has started carrying passengers today

Can any Sydney siders here check for voice and ctcss on the following please
491.600 - Dulwich Hill station
493.400 - Leichardt station
491.550 - Ibis Hotel at Pyrmont which is also co located with their existing frequency 463.925.

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:54 am

491.550 - st-173.8 - voice channel

Yet to hear activity on the others.

John.

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:57 am

463.925 - st-136.5 - seems to always be their main channel.(most activity)

John.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:17 am

Is the light rail still using those frequencies in analogue? Previously I was able to hear the Pyrmont channel (463.9250) but have not been able to pick it up lately.