New RFS profile?

RFS, SES, SLSA, VRA, SJA
scanSydney
Site Admin

New RFS profile?

Post by scanSydney » Mon May 23, 2016 10:02 pm

Has anyone managed to get a hold of/try out the new RFS profile being programmed onto radios progressively around the state?

Apparently they've removed the analog zone (considering the whole state is either GRN or digital PMR now) and done some other changes.

I can't seem to find any documentation on it anywhere!

Cheers.

Longreach

Re: New RFS profile?

Post by Longreach » Tue May 24, 2016 5:23 am

They're is none yet at least not in my area. From my understanding yes the analog is supposed to be removed but I've also been told new stuff is supposed to be added?

Mind your Wingecaribee is still using their analog as the GRN site's at Bullio and Hilltop are yet to be switched on.

Cheers
VK2MRC

tsunami_australia

Post by tsunami_australia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:37 pm

Late comer to the the party but we still have analogue in our radios here and I thought some areas SW were still analogue?

I was made aware last year sometime there was a new profile in dev and I put in some requests like giving the rx only data at least to the firefighters who like to hear what they are going to instead of playing secret squirrel. They reckoned they were looking to do this but I have my doubts.

One thing that annoys me, I'm not sure who is responsible for what programming to what radios but we have a number of XTS3000s left that whist useless for the PMR network now (lack of channel capacity and not sure they will affiliate correctly??) they would make awesome P25 fireground radios still and better yet be less of a loss if lost/destroyed/etc and keep what really is still decent technology in use. There is no reason at all that the FOPS channels couldn't be programmed into them. Instead the RFS seems to prefer to leave them laying around doing nothing leaving them programmed with the old analogue frequencies till they become totally useless and actually illegal to possess from a spectrum licensing stand point. When I raised it with paid staff I was basically given a "if that was the least of the wasted money we'd be happy now leave it alone" (the issue not the radio).

Our local brass have installed huge masts at the CC's we need less than ever before and waste resources like the XTS3000's yet then complain they have to play musical cars as they don't have enough money for cars for all active staff amongst other things.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:10 pm

tsunami_australia wrote:least to the firefighters who like to hear what they are going to instead of playing secret squirrel.
They are all listed in the ACMA database, and even without the database would be easy to find by scanning. Certainly nothing ‘secret squirrel’ about them.
tsunami_australia wrote:One thing that annoys me, I'm not sure who is responsible for what programming to what radios but we have a number of XTS3000s ....
The XTS3000 is a 20+ year old model for which Motorola discontinued support for years ago. All RFS XTS3k’s should have been switched out ages back, any left around probably aren’t worth the RFS putting any effort into or were privately purchased by the brigade.

tsunami_australia

Post by tsunami_australia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:35 am

I know they are ACMA listed but that is totally beside the point!

As for the XTS3000's no we still have some here that are not brigade owned and you obviously have NFI if you truly think they are not worth putting effort to. One of the biggest complaints about radios outside of the metro areas that get more funding in a year than most outside get in a decade is that there are not enough digital capable handhelds for use on the fireground. To reprogram them even if only for fireground frequencies they have a VERY big use that suddenly becomes worth the effort. For those of us that are still on vote systems rather than the crappy unreliable trunked system they could still be programmed for the PMR as well!

I know in my area alone they are capable of our PMR network across 4 council regions, fireground and 2 of the 3 adjoining areas. Even when they do force GRN here they will still obviously be useful for fireground (FOPS) use. Whilst they are no good now as the T1 or a primary radio do not write them off as junk when they are capable of work still regardless of their "support".