RFS Radio Codes

RFS, SES, SLSA, VRA, SJA
Scotty

RFS Radio Codes

Post by Scotty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:34 pm

Apart from the colour codes, does anybody have a list of current RFS radio codes?

I didn't think they still used them, and the only lists I can find are quite old. However at the truck fire at Mona Vale this afternoon one of the first crews on scene advised "we have a code 100 here" - which I took to mean 'deceased' (everything else was said in plain English).

Cheers.

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: RFS Radio Codes

Post by Bigfella237 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:22 am

Never heard of that, the RFS "Discreet Message Code" for deceased is "Code Delta", "Code India" is injured person, "Code Mike" is missing persons and "Code Tango" is persons trapped (refer to page 321 of the big blue BF bible).

This would usually be prefixed by the number of each, for example "We have one code delta and a further three code india's, one of which is still code tango."

Not a very sophisticated code but better than somebody announcing that "the driver is deceased", especially since crews love to have the rear speaker blaring the radio traffic for all to hear while on scene.
Last edited by Bigfella237 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:25 am

If thats a code, its only a local one(or perhaps borrowed from FRNSW). The normal code for deceased is Code Delta (in the RFS anyway), and down out way the majority only pass that via mobile phone.
cheers
VK2MRC

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:57 am

Longreach wrote:If thats a code, its only a local one(or perhaps borrowed from FRNSW). The normal code for deceased is Code Delta (in the RFS anyway), and down our way the majority only pass that via mobile phone.
cheers
I had an RFS call early Tuesday to bush alight. Nearby resident Code M and finally found to be code D. All passed by mobile phone. So much easier, you can give much more detailed and/or sensitive info at the same time. Even if the codes were passed on the radio there would be a follow up mobile phone call anyway.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks all. I had read about the 'D', 'I', 'M' etc codes, but have not heard the used previously.

The crew definitely used "code 100" and the operator appeared to understand. The first RFS crews on scene were clearly stressed, talking over one another, all trying to assume incident control and all calling 'red' before every message for about 15 minutes in an effort to get priority over other crews at the scene trying to pass the same messages. There was no clear idea of what was required and they just kept saying "send everything". Almost backfired when another fire erupted in Terrey Hills, with only 1 CAT 7 left to respond.

Compared to other large RFS fires or incidents, including other large fires on the same day, the initial crews at Mona Vale certainly sounded far less experienced than those who I have heard before (an observation only, and possible reason for the "code 100").

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:29 am

Typical RFS scenario...

"Okay, I'm in charge here"
"No, I'm in charge here"
"No you're not, I am"
"No, none of you are because I am"

Andrew

Garry

Post by Garry » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:43 am

copy so far ?
Happily Scanning Since 1983

astro_boy

Post by astro_boy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:28 pm

Anyone have a recording ?

Wonky

Post by Wonky » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:38 pm

Garry wrote:copy so far ?
more to follow over...

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:28 am

Scotty are you sure code 100 is not a shortened 10-100?

Just kidding.... I hope.

Cheers

Richard