Surf Life Saving

RFS, SES, SLSA, VRA, SJA
Garry

Re: Surf Life Saving

Post by Garry » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:45 pm

John, Ive lost your email address,, can you email me garry@lakescan.com.au I have stuff to send you
Happily Scanning Since 1983

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:16 pm

I've been hearing SLSA from the Central Coast talking on Gosford Councils MPT Trunking system.150.3125 in particular,is this the Council paid lifeguards?

John.

Garry

Post by Garry » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:24 pm

John, the Gosford Council Lifeguards have a UHF freq on that list I sent you via email. that is the one used from beach to beach

what you are hearing isnt slsa, but the Council Lifeguard main office talking to someone at council

freqwaves

Post by freqwaves » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Ok,so beach to beach is 472.725.
They seemed to be reporting how many incidents they attended on a beach so makes sense what I was hearing on their trunk system.

Thanks, John.

Garry

Post by Garry » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:24 pm

thats right mate,, every morning you'll hear each Gosford area beach report on saying beach conditions, any problems in area such as grafitti etc and regular updates during the day. Then from their main lifeguard base (which Im pretty sure is in the park to the left of the Skillion at terrigal) they call to a council office and relay a report and organise clean up crews, rubbish removal etc

Garry

Post by Garry » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:19 pm

can anyone here help with confirming the ctcss tones on the SLSA freqs from Forster and northwards ??

cartman

Post by cartman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Found this looking for something else

http://www.surflifesaving.com.au/news/m ... 2015-2.pdf

Of particular interest

If your Club/Service wishes to purchase new radios, Surf Life Saving NSW suggests you purchase a digital DMR tier 2 radio which is compatible with the current analogue UHF repeater network. These radios can also be used in digital mode in the future when Surf Life Saving NSW moves to a digital network. The Hytera PD782G radio is the Surf Life Saving NSW suggested model. Please contact an approved Radio Communications Service Agent to purchase.

Coastal Radio Network
Surf Life Saving NSW own and operate an analogue UHF Coastal Radio Network for Lifesaving Services in NSW. We currently have a total of 45 repeaters and or translators that provide radio coverage to all 150 patrolled locations in the state. As per the 2013 Coastal Radio Network Review Panel, SLSNSW will be moving towards a digital network over the next few years. Clubs and services are encouraged to start to purchase DMR tier II radios which are compatible with the current network and will also be able to be used when the network goes digital.

In a separate article about the demise of a south coast Surfcom site at Kiama the President SLNSW spells out why:

http://www.ulladullatimes.com.au/story/ ... ut-safety/

What the changes will mean for clubs/branches
• Less financial and administrative burden on branches (running SurfComs).
• Improved SurfCom monitoring and response to radio calls.
• Greater monitoring and support of clubs, during and outside patrol season (including callouts).
• Faster and higher quality club notification of emergencies from a 000 call.
• Faster provision of ambulance/other support to clubs.
• Better quality information and direction to clubs due to advanced mapping and information technology.
• Improved logging/record keeping and voice recording for training and member safety.
• Vessel tracking technology – improving emergency response, search coordination and improved member safety.
• Improved inter-agency communication/coordination with SLS (LG/Heli/Police/Ambul/SES/MRNSW).
• Improved support to callout teams and branch duty officers.
• More efficient patrol sign-ons/sign-offs and data collection.
• Improved quality of data immediately available for branches/clubs for reporting and media (improved recognition).
• Improved consistency in radio procedures – having a flow-on effect to club/patrol radio skills.
• Quicker identification and resolution of radio faults/failures (including implementing alternative contingency plans).
• Greater accountability and performance standards expected and delivered by a central SurfCom (and any performance issues resolved faster).
• Larger membership base to call on volunteers
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Thanks Grant, obviously the GRN trials didn't go so well, I wonder if it was a coverage issue?

Or maybe they figure P25 radios are too expensive for the individual clubs to purchase? Although when you balance that out against the cost of replacing all their existing infrastructure with DMR equipment, not to mention running & maintaining a separate dedicated network (which they wouldn't have to do on the GRN) I don't know if the cost of individual radios would even be a factor?

Andrew

cartman

Post by cartman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:40 pm

according to the slnsw documents a analog/dmr radio appears to be $900-1000 vs the cost of a GRN radio which i think is about $3000 or thereabouts
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

news

Post by news » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:19 am

cartman wrote:according to the slnsw documents a analog/dmr radio appears to be $900-1000 vs the cost of a GRN radio which i think is about $3000 or thereabouts
It's even less than that cost.... I am a huge supporter of cost savings HOWEVER, If you compare what is currently available on the market today, is there really a need for P25 radios for every govt linked group VS what technology is now available ?

I say run 2 x networks.

1x P25 encrypted network for public safety Tier 1 agencies, then run a second DMR Network for all non public safety Tier 2 agencies.

Go ahead and spend the $$ for rock solid crypto enabled radios for Tier 1 agencies, but offer a MUCH lower cost network for Tier 2 Agencies. All controlled and IP linked to the NOCC to be controlled and linked as required.