YES
56%
NO
44%

Total votes: 16

vk2fear

RESCUE 87

Post by vk2fear » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:57 pm

Rescue 87 was called to a MVA person trapped tonite at wollondilly and it took then 35mins to get on scene-which is not there fault its the goverment-how bad would it be if someone died.
Call sign:VK2FEAR
SCANNING WITH:
FT8800 x2 - FT60 - UBC245XLT - UBC120 - UBC72XLT - UBC780xlt - UBCD396T -
UBCD996T x2 - TX-3800 x2 - T-2020 66/88mhz X 4 - T-2010 66/88mhz x4 - TS-480 sat

soupbones

Re: RESCUE 87

Post by soupbones » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:34 am

It is bad.
I don't know why they don't stop dawdling around and just merge the two services. Many say this won't work but it seems to work all over the USA, where fire departments have paramedics. For the ambo's this basically means a badge change. They still have their own bosses who work in tandem with the fire bosses.
The working in tandem part is the problem here, as politics gets in the way all the time.

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:22 am

Interestingly, NSWFB at Piction is Rescue Accredited, did they run to the job?

Picton is well within the Wollondilly area.

JimK

Post by JimK » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:09 am

soupbones wrote:It is bad.
I don't know why they don't stop dawdling around and just merge the two services. Many say this won't work but it seems to work all over the USA, where fire departments have paramedics. For the ambo's this basically means a badge change.
I would not merge, ASNSW has a specific roles, of which their smaller role is their paramedic response. Most of their work is transporting non-urgent cases.

In the USA, most Fire Brigades have Paramedics and very few ambulances.
Ambulance in the USA is mainly private, some attached to hospitals, some independent like a tow truck. I can tell you, you don't want that in NSW.

NSWFB should do paramedical services, but leave the ambulance transport to health.

vk2fear

Post by vk2fear » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:08 am

421 picton is secondy response if 87 are busy , i just feel for the poor victom who was in the car for 1 hour.

system_tech wrote:Interestingly, NSWFB at Piction is Rescue Accredited, did they run to the job?

Picton is well within the Wollondilly area.
Call sign:VK2FEAR
SCANNING WITH:
FT8800 x2 - FT60 - UBC245XLT - UBC120 - UBC72XLT - UBC780xlt - UBCD396T -
UBCD996T x2 - TX-3800 x2 - T-2020 66/88mhz X 4 - T-2010 66/88mhz x4 - TS-480 sat

system_tech

Post by system_tech » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:44 pm

Given the 35 min running time for 87, I would have sent 421 as well.

But lets be honest, if Ambulance Rescue 910 was at Campbelltown (as it often was) it also would have a running time of around 35 mins so nothing has really changed.

And lets be furthermore honest, if Rescue 910 was at a medical (as it often was) without a transporting regular ambulance, it WOULD NOT BE RELEASED so would not have made the job until much later or not at all.

So don't just think that delays for rescue are a new thing since NSWFB took over.

And, once trained, the NSWFB rescue station will be 93 Narellan which will put in a more central place.

I think bagging or mentioning 87 for a 35 min running time is a bit of a furphy.

Some parts of Campbelltown, Camden and Wollondilly are very far apart and if a unit was at one end and at got called to a distant end the running time would be well over 35 min and completely "legal" as it would happen under normal / usual protocols. This would be no matter if it was ASNSW or NSWFB.

JimK

Post by JimK » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:57 pm

system_tech wrote:Given the 35 min running time for 87, I would have sent 421 as well.
If the Local Rescue Sub-Committee sees the area an issue, they can ask for a dual response from the SRB. The SRB would do a risk assessment on their request.
The person doing the responding for this area is sitting a chair in Warilla and would not have any such instruction.

As you point out, distances are a problem both 6 months ago as they are today. And this is the same in many areas of the state. Even within the GSa, if you were trapped at Melong/Putty on the Putty Road its about 40 minutes under whistle from Wilberforce.

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:39 pm

An interesting thing is, about 18 months ago the NSWFB Rescue Section started working towards equipping all NSWFB Station Pumps with an “Enhanced Rapid Intervention Kit”, which is basically a Rapid Intervention Kit with Step Blocks, Petrol/Hydraulic Pump and a smaller/quieter Generator included.

I first heard about 2 years ago around the NSWFB Rescue Traps, that if the NSWFB did take over Rescue from the Ambulance, that the NSWFB were going to push the SRB to approve all NSWFB Metropolitan Stations within “NSWFB Rescue Areas” to become interim rescue units, meaning the closes station would be responded and would have to start Rescue until the Primary Rescue Station arrived.

Will be interesting to see if this does happen, as if it does it will mean every station in Sydney will potentially be doing rescues at every Person Trapped MVA they attend.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

JimK

Post by JimK » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:02 pm

I think Grant the idea is that a pump turning up for Fire Protection could start as they are often on scene well before the rescue.

For the incident in question, it would still mean a dual response of stations, as it was not in Picton's area either but RFS.

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:04 pm

JimK wrote: I think Grant the idea is that a pump turning up for Fire Protection could start as they are often on scene well before the rescue.
No that is the situation we are in now ;), being if a pump responded for Fire Protection turns up before a Accredited Rescue Unit, that pump crew can currently start the rescue process or Must start the rescue process if asked by Ambulance Officers on site to do so.
JimK wrote:For the incident in question, it would still mean a dual response of stations, as it was not in Picton's area either but RFS.
In the situations as above if the MVA is in a RFS Area for normal fires incident calls but in a NSWFB Rescue area, the closes NSWFB Station will still be responded along with the NSWFB Primary Rescue Station for the area. The closes station on arrival will commence fire protection till the RFS arrives while at the same time gain entry into the trapped occupants for Ambulance Officers till the NSWFB Primary Rescue crew arrives.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT