FR1

sw sydney scanner

FR1

Post by sw sydney scanner » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:55 pm

Hi all on the way home from work tonight i saw FR1 at a service station at casula on the door of the fire truck it said FIRECHASE and along the side NSW MOTORSPORT FIRE SEVICES.
I have heard this before on the scanner, what call sign do they use and where it this truck stationed.
couldn't get a photo as i left my phone at home.
Thanks sw sydney scanner. Using UBCD396T

centralcoastscanman

Re: FR1

Post by centralcoastscanman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:50 pm

Its based at the race tracks like eastern creek and such other places if its the truck i am thinking of... a former friend of mine used to be involved with them as a volunteer

i believe they purchase retired nswfb vehicles and re-furb them or something similar

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:28 pm

This is the service you are referring too: http://www.firechase.org/

They have no association with NSWFB apart that some of there Volunteers may be members of the NSWFB, so you will never hear then on the NSWFB Radio Network.

The Sydney Units vehicles are stored at the Eastern Creek Raceway
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT

sw sydney scanner

Post by sw sydney scanner » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:10 pm

thaks guys and yep jafo thats the one i saw same as the one in the picture with mount panorama in the back ground
Thanks sw sydney scanner. Using UBCD396T

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:00 pm

What's the go with these blokes and performing rescues during races? Are they accredited by the SRB or is there some exemption for them?

centralcoastscanman

Post by centralcoastscanman » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:01 pm

private property would be one reason why they would not need to be, as you don't need a drivers license to drive a vehicle on private property but you do as soon as you go out on the road

I'd say that CAMS that do all the racing acreditation would have some arrangement with the State Rescue Board

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:27 pm

centralcoastscanman wrote:private property would be one reason why they would not need to be, as you don't need a drivers license to drive a vehicle on private property but you do as soon as you go out on the road

I'd say that CAMS that do all the racing acreditation would have some arrangement with the State Rescue Board
I don't think that being on private property would exempt them from being accredited for rescue. You can't compare it to driving rules, that's a whole different kettle of fish!

CAMS may have some agreement with the SRB, but surely they would still need to be accredited as rescue operators before performing these duties? Some of the prangs at raceways would involve massive speeds, and when combined with the extra strength of race cars (roll bars, etc) one would think it could make for a difficult extraction.

JAFO

Post by JAFO » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:40 pm

Scotty wrote:
centralcoastscanman wrote:private property would be one reason why they would not need to be, as you don't need a drivers license to drive a vehicle on private property but you do as soon as you go out on the road

I don't think that being on private property would exempt them from being accredited for rescue. You can't compare it to driving rules, that's a whole different kettle of fish!

CAMS may have some agreement with the SRB, but surely they would still need to be accredited as rescue operators before performing these duties? Some of the prangs at raceways would involve massive speeds, and when combined with the extra strength of race cars (roll bars, etc) one would think it could make for a difficult extraction.
No Race Circuit’s being on private property in NSW are not exempt from the State Rescue Act, but yes CAMS as an organisation may have some kind of agreement with the State Rescue Board, that the board recognise them as an organisation that can provide basic road rescue capabilities through their accredited Race Circuit Fire & Rescue Teams.

As a NSWFB Firefighter I have visited the Eastern Creek Race Circuit as part of a Site Familiarisation while stationed at Huntingwood Fire Station. We were shown the FireChaser Fire & Rescue Team vehicles and some of the equipment they carried at the time, and I can say their rescue equipment was very basic – Double Acting Shears and Super Spreaders basicaly.

CAMS does have some kind of National Accreditation process for Race Circuit Fire & Rescue Teams, I think this includes what Firefighting & Rescue Equipment must be carried by crews and an training accreditation programme which included the use of basic rescue equipment, First aid and patient extraction techniques as part of their accreditation process.

In most Race Car Crashes, due to the nature of the Drivers Safety Cell Construction, most Driver Extractions are probably easily carried out by the Fire & Rescue Teams and Medical Crews on site without the need to call in a State Accredited Rescue Unit, its just when the Drivers Safety Cell is impacted greatly and is compromised that the extraction process may need more rescue equipment then what the Fire & Rescue Team holds, so out side rescue service is requested.

97 Huntingwood & 63 Blacktown have attended a couple of Rescue Incidents on the Eastern Creek Race Circuit over the years where race cars have been involved in High Speed Impacts, mostly into walls and most times the Brigade was called due to the Fire & Rescue Team not having enough Rescue Equipment to complete the extraction, so a State Accredited Rescue Unit has been requested by the Race Circuit Controller.
JAFO
VK2FGQ

UBCD369XT, UBCD536-PT, UBCD436-PT