FRNSW radio audio.

Mike Alpha

FRNSW radio audio.

Post by Mike Alpha » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Anyone else noticing the difference in transmitted radio audio levels on fire GRN radios ever since the comms center change?

What I'm noticing is a lot of appliance radios are maybe 50% louder than the operator audio and all other GRN agency radio audio. I'm listening now to channel D104 and so far P364, P36 and P32 have been so much loader than the operator that I have to turn down the volume.

I haven't noted any pattern since it started so I'm not sure if would be a radio programming issue, or a console/patching issue.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Alpha on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ivahri

Re: FRNSW radio audio.

Post by ivahri » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks Mike! It is an issue that Moto and ourselves are working on. There was a change in the radio audio settings made at Moto's recommendation & this has had some "unanticipated" impacts. When we know more I'll let you know.

Your comment about them being louder than other agency radios is valuable feedback- we were hoping to do some tests to other agency consoles today but ran out of time.

Cheers,

Richard

Mike Alpha

Post by Mike Alpha » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:43 pm

No worries Richard. Interestingly, I watched the audio levels in an audio editing program and the waveform amplitude is the same for both appliance radio and operator as in this screen cap.

Listen to the recording here

But it looks like the envelope is fuller for the appliance so I'd hazzard a guess that there is audio compression with some limiting.

Cheers
Mike

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks again Mike... I should be arranging for you to get paid for doing this! I've already passed your info on... I'd shout you a beer for it if there wasn't a dry policy!

Cheers,

Richard

news

Post by news » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:37 pm

Out of interest Richard, what version of firmware did FRNSW update to in the last round of radio servicing ? I assume that you have a regular program where fleet radios are updated to the latest "stable" version of firmware etc........

What Audio setting are you running in your radios ? I.E. have your mobiles, portables and aircraft have all got use specific settings ?

it would be great if you could share your trial results with us so we can learn from your testing on what works best for your teams ?

Analog/Digital AGC: ???
Output: ???
Total: ??
Noise Suppression Attenuation: ???

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:30 am

Ah well no... if other agencies need this information they can contact me any time, but I'm not sure that I would share that information publicly. Just like any public servant I am constrained with what I am allowed to share without approval.

But yes FRNSW tend to be "conservative" when it comes to firmware upgrades. Currently the radios are running r12 (dating back to about 2010), but the next upgrade will most likely be to r16 (to include enhancements for conventional base voting operation and network authentication). My guess is that will generally happen later this FY though I need to get the Monaro region upgraded in the next few months.

Richard

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:31 am

Theres some very good advice on AGC settings here --> http://www.p25.ca/threads/75-Motorola-A ... RO25+audio

Please check it out.

cartman

Post by cartman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:20 pm

Audio console testing happening now on 10134 - Special Ops 1

Update
There were volume issues (too loud/too low) with both individual consoles and in service vehicle/portables radios, so whatever the actual issues(s) are, the solution is likely to be complex and drawn out
Field testing was completed at 1450hrs

Grant
(recovering from jetlag and walking around too much in Vienna)
Professional Scanner nut. Ibis bin chicken of radio scraps
Scanners:
Uniden 325P2, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR800 x 2, Uniden 780 x 3, Uniden 796, Uniden 396 x 2, Uniden 246,
Software:
DSD v2.368, Unitrunker, Trunkview

ivahri

Post by ivahri » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi Grant,

Definitely going to be drawn out... and from talking to the boss they found a couple of dud consoles- but that was coincidental to the issue that is central to the testing.

Cheers

Richard

matthewn1983

Post by matthewn1983 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:19 pm

Sounded like changing mic's made a bit of a difference too (from listening on a scanner only) not sure what the results were from their end.