[QLD] Government Wireless Network (QLDGWN)

MMR, RMR, SAGRN, GWN, NTESTN, WAERN
Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: [QLD] Government Wireless Network (GWN)

Post by Bigfella237 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:49 am

Sigint wrote:
Bigfella237 wrote: EDIT: Forgot to mention that 1 William Street appears to be a government office complex of some description, the map says it houses the Queensland Treasury, Trade & Investment, Dept Natural Resources, etc.
1 William Street is known as the Towers of Power as all 41 floors are occupied by Queensland State Government departments. Even the Premier and her Cabinet have their offices there.

--
Sigint
Ah well that explains why they warrant their own dedicated site then...

All of those freqs are licenced as 0.1W with a "distributed antenna system" using TLA600 antennae...

...so definitely "in-building" sites, which might make it difficult to discover their site numbers etc., especially for the govt building with security being what it is these days. I compared the frequencies with other sites and it seems they are stand-alone sites, not part of a simulcast system like the rest of the CBD.

Just a guess but I reckon we will start to see many more of these in-building sites pop up now, they seem to have covered the general area, now just filling in coverage holes?

Andrew

Sigint

Post by Sigint » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:17 am

Apparently IBC stands for In Building Coverage.

Some major shopping centres use such systems, employing "leaky coax".

--
Sigint

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:52 pm

Queensland is really starting to make NSW look bad...

6 new QLDGWN sites just appeared on the ACMA database, authorised yesterday the 19th February and I've just added them to the list and the map. They are:

CARINDALE (shopping centre 1151 Creek Road) - ACMA Site 10008802
SOUTH BRISBANE (Lady Cilento hospital) - ACMA Site 10008803

UPPER MOUNT GRAVATT (Garden City shopping cntr) - ACMA Site 10008804
COOPERS PLAINS (QE II hospital 360 Troughton Rd) - ACMA Site 10008805

BROADBEACH WATERS (Pacific Fair shopping cntr) - ACMA Site 10008806
SOUTHPORT (Gold Coast University Hospital) - ACMA Site 10008807

Note that all are "In Building Coverage" (IBC) sites and I've grouped those pairs like that because I expect each pair to share a GWN Site ID based on their geography and licenced frequencies.

Wonky needs a fuel allowance!

Andrew

BrisbaneScan

Post by BrisbaneScan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:28 pm

Bigfella237 wrote:Queensland is really starting to make NSW look bad...

6 new QLDGWN sites just appeared on the ACMA database, authorised yesterday the 19th February and I've just added them to the list and the map. They are:

CARINDALE (shopping centre 1151 Creek Road) - ACMA Site 10008802
SOUTH BRISBANE (Lady Cilento hospital) - ACMA Site 10008803

UPPER MOUNT GRAVATT (Garden City shopping cntr) - ACMA Site 10008804
COOPERS PLAINS (QE II hospital 360 Troughton Rd) - ACMA Site 10008805

BROADBEACH WATERS (Pacific Fair shopping cntr) - ACMA Site 10008806
SOUTHPORT (Gold Coast University Hospital) - ACMA Site 10008807

Note that all are "In Building Coverage" (IBC) sites and I've grouped those pairs like that because I expect each pair to share a GWN Site ID based on their geography and licenced frequencies.

Wonky needs a fuel allowance!

Andrew
All Sites that have had issues with the GWN, i'll be able to check some of those sites out as they are near work and home. Lady Cilento will have to wait till one of the kids is in hospital again :)
to many radios as 255 characters is not enough :)

Wonky

Post by Wonky » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:59 pm

Ha ha they are all southside...I might leave them to you Brisbane Scan :)

I will do the north side stuff. Nothing showing up in terms of new peers for 1 William or CAH (Caboolture hospital) as yet on existing sites.

Hopefully they might get them all running before the Comm Games.

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:50 pm

And not to be outdone by the blues, QLD punches back with a new GWN site of their own, authorised today 7th March:

BIRTINYA (GWN site, SE roof of carpark no.1, Sunshine Coast University Hospital Corner Hollows Ln and Fenner St) - ACMA Site: 10009288

Andrew

Wonky

Post by Wonky » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:55 pm

Great idea that they are putting in IBC at the major hospitals in the SE, the QAS use status buttons on the portables for various things such as 'off stretcher' and 'partially available'.

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:25 pm

Actually, I'm not sure that this last one is an IBC site?

The location is on the roof of a carpark not an IBC cabinet, all the freqs are 50W TX and all on an RFI vertical dipole array...

...so unless someone made a heap of mistakes on the ACMA entries I'd say it has to be a wide area site? Although the freqs all specify an Azimuth of 130° and the RFI site says the antenna only has a 180° beam so I suppose it must be somewhat directional? It appears to be bushland on the back side of the carpark so I'm guessing this was a good way to blast a full strength signal throughout the hospital without having to actually run cabling through the building?

Andrew

Wonky

Post by Wonky » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:17 pm

I was there yesterday and didn't get a hit on any of the listed freqs. couldn't see the hardware either but it was absolutely bucketing down at the time, will check it out again though.

Looks like the expansion of the GWN (what is called the 'regional radio communications') project had its business case finished in September 2017 and is sitting with the Government for a decision (no details on the specs as yet):

http://buildingqueensland.qld.gov.au/bu ... nications/

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:24 am

Common sense says the deadline for getting these GWN Hospital sites operational would've been the Commonwealth Games (?) and if that's true shouldn't they all be working by now?

Just wondering if anyone has seen anything new appear on the peer lists on other sites etc.?

Andrew